Unhappy With Face/Neck Lift w/ Upper Bleph. Doc Recommends a Laser Facelift? (photo)

Sixteen months after my facelift, neck lift and upper blephoplasty I am unhappy with the result. My doctor told me it was because of my skin type. He has recommended that I now have a complete laser facelift which should tighten the skin and leave me with the results I want. My doctor never mentioned there might be an issue with the results because of my skin type. Now he wants me to spend another $2,000. What should I do?

Facelift - what it can and cannot do

+1

It would appear that you were not made aware of the full nature of the aging process before your facelift.

A facelift removes skin redundancy, and restores the soft tissues to a more youthful position. This is just one aspect of the aging process and the facelft does not change the remaining characteristics such skin fine or coarse wrinkles, texture, pore size, age spots etc, which a laser will help. A facelift also does not address loss of volume of the upper face. Realistic expectations for each procedure is very important.

Laser for Facial Wrinkles

+1

Superficial wrinkles respond well to laser resurfacing.  This may be a good idea for you based upon the preoperative photos.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Laser resurfacing after facelift

+1

It's important to know that while facelift surgery can significantly tighten the neck and jawline it is not a treatment for skin wrinkles and loss of elasticity. Laser resurfacing can often improve the quality of the skin in ways surgery can not. I think it is a very reasonable adjunct procedure to your facelift and at 16 months this would be the ideal time.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment ..

+1

Improvement of wrinkles and skin quality is what is accomplished with laser treatment. It appears based on your submitted photos that a laser treatment will be of benefit to you. Since a facelift or face and necklift is meant to lift sagging cheek skin as well as improve the neck and jawline, its important to make the distinction that wrinkles and skin quality are a separate issue and once addressed should make you feel better about your procedure.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Will A Laser Facelift Make Me Happy?

+1

The answer to the question, "will a laser facelift make me happy" truly depends on why you are unhappy.  We don't have enough pictures to determine what went right and what didn't go quite so right.  A laser face lift will improve the wrinkles (ritids) on your lip and tighten your skin in all areas.  The question still remains, are ritids the problem you are complaining about.  

You need to be very clear with us, with your plastic surgeon, and with yourself as to exactly what your areas of concern are.  If you don't feel comfortable with your primary plastic surgeon, please seek a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in secondary facelifts. 

All that being said, you have a very Natural, Not Done, result. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

After facelift, laser will improve the lines around your mouth.

+1

Hi.

It really depends on what you are unhappy about.  For instance, your neck looks too full.  Laser will not help with that.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Unhappy With Face/Neck Lift w/ Upper Bleph

+1

After 16 months, you have had sufficient time to judge the results. However, we do not know what you look like currently in order for us to guide you properly. Please have additional in person consultation with experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Facelift may be worth revising

+1

Your photos only allow limited evaluation, and your text does not clearly state what area remains unsatisfactory about your facelift.

Judging from your one-month-after photo alone, your upper eyelids look good - I wouldn't consider revision. As for your jawline and neck, it would be much more helpful to see your current after photo. I suspect the jawline and neck have room for additional improvement. 

With your face shape, revision with a surgeon VERY comfortable with the deeper neck and face anatomy will likely yield significant improvement. As for the laser, that may help fine lines around the mouth, but will not reshape the contours of your jawline and neck.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy With Face/Neck Lift w/ Upper Bleph. Doc Recommends a Laser Facelift?

+1

Too early in recovery to be so unhappy. Especially when comparing the before and after that demonstrate an acceptable result. Seek in person second opinions. 

Unhappy with face lift

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. It will not be in your best interest to give an answer online. The after photo shows reasonable results, but it is only one moth after surgery. A formal consultation with a plastic surgeon is advisable before commenting your self for an answer online.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD