Would a facelift rejuvenate my appearance? (photo)

I am 59 and have had botox for forehead creases and Radiesse for volume to my checks and reduction of nasolabial creases. My eyelids are droopy and my lower face has saggy skin. My nasolabial folds are very prominent and there are many vertical lines above my lips. Skin on my neck has also started to sag. I am considering a facelift and would like input for help with my decision.

Would a facelift rejuvenate my appearance?

+3

I think a facelift is appropriate to address some of those concerns.  Eyelid surgery may be appropriate as well. 

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

When a Facelift will help

+3

A facelift is designed to tighten the skin of the face. Depending on how it is done, it can also tighten the skin of the entire neck. The surgery tightens the skin only, creating less quantity of skin but not changing the quality of the skin. Eyelid surgery can be done at the same but is not generally considered part of a facelift or neck lift. Most often the facelift will help the lower face and jowls but not fully take care of the lines running from the nose to the mouth (the nasolabial folds). If we pull so tight as to get rid of these completely then the face often looks too tight and not natural. We fill the folds with a filler such as Juvederm or a fat injection of your own fat at the time of surgery. This improves the volume of the face that is lost with age and gives a much more natural result than pulling too tightly. This is really the big advance in facelifting in the past ten years. The fine lines can be improved by non invasive techniques such as laser resurfacing which also improves the Quality of skin giving what I call Q2 facial rejuvenation (Quality plus Quantity). In looking at your photos I would recommend that a facelift, necklift and eyelid lift (upper and lower) with some filler to the folds would give the best result in the initial stages. A full face laser would then refine the fine lines and give an added degree of tightening. I usually wait at least 6 weeks after the facelift to do the laser. Of course, this is all dependent on your being a good surgical candidate. The best to tell is to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in cosmetic surgery. Good luck!

William LoVerme, MD

Candidate for Facelift

+3

You are an excellent candidate for facelift, blepharoplasty, and laser resurfacing of the upper lip area. Fillers at this point, will really not help much. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for a consult to discuss your options and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Take a Multi-prong approach

+2
You have a variety of issues that no one surgical technique (e.g. facelift, eyelid surgery, etc.) or non-surgical technique (botox, fillers, fat injections, laser resurfacing, etc.) will completely do the job.  I would recommend a face/neck lift and possibly lower eyelid surgery, but you jawline and neck improvements would also be facilitated by placement of a small chin implant.  Filler or fat injections would help with the mid-facial area, while laser resurfacing would assist with improvement of wrinkles and skin tone/texture/color.  And Botox to the area between your eyebrows would be helpful as well.  This does not all need to be done at once, but I would recommend the surgical procedures being done at the same time.  Your are a good candidate for these procedures, but please also consider a good skin care plan with your surgeon.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Rejuvenation of face, forehead and eyelids

+2

Patients with signs of facial and neck aging could rejuvenate their appearance with a facelift.. Compared with non-surgical cosmetic procedures like injectable fillers and Botox, facelift will give a rejuvenated facial appearance that can last for up to 10 years.

Decreased volume of the cheeks, prominent nasolabial creases, jowls and sagging of the neck skin can all be improved with a carefully done facelift and neck lift. There are multiple types of facelifts. The ‘malar fat pat technique facelift’ can rejuvenate the face with natural result and non-operated look (without the “wind-blown” pulled back look). The link bellow provides more information.

Forehead creases and droopy eyes can be both significantly improved with a carefully done endoscopic forehead lift (small incisions brow lift) and a carefully done upper lid blepharoplasty. Vertical lines above the lips can be improved with a chemical peel skin resurfacing.

John Mesa, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Facelift to Rejuvenate Facial Appearance

+2

A facelift can be done to lift the sagging skin below your chin improve the contour of your jawline, reducing your jowls. However, I suggest that you consult with a surgeon experienced in all techniques of facial rejuvenation so you understand all of your alternatives before making any decisions.

Facelift and eyelid surgery

+2

The combination of facelift and eyelid surgery is very common in our practice. The goal of upper lid surgery is to remove excess skin and a small amount of fat on the medial side of the eyelids closest to the nose. The incision is located directly in the upper lid crease. This helps get rid of the tired look

The primary goal of a lower face/neck lift is to tighten the jowls, facial and neck skin, removal of fat in the neck,tighten the muscles in the neck and the facial SMAS layer. it's important to get a refreshed and natural look.

For many examples, please see our facelift/ eyelid photo gallery link below

Optimal time for a facelift

+2

While each person's expectations and goals are different, from the photo you posted a facelift and possible eyelid procedures would be beneficial. In the 50's age group, the results can be very natural and long-lasting. A brow shaping procedure might be considered for you as well, and possibly resurfacing of the upper lip area. a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon will give you the answers you need.

Richard Baxter, MD

Facelift will give you long term facial rejuvenation

+2

Thanks for posting pictures. It makes the evaluation and our answers much more informative. Yes, a facelift, blepharoplasty and fat grafting will be an excellent choice for you to achieve long term facial rejuvenation. The facelift with help restore the facial anatomy to the youthful position and remove excess, loose and wrinkled skin. Blepharoplasty with rejuvenation the area around your eyes. And, fat grafting will help restore the lost volume in your face. Additionally at the time of surgery or at a later day a chemical peel or laser resurfacing with help with the fine lines and skin tone. While it may sound like a lot of surgery, the results will be well worth it. The best advice it to schedule a consultation to review all of your options and to ensure that you are optimized medically and prepared for surgery.

Good Luck and please let us know if you have any other questions.

David Shafer, MD

A facelift will rejuvenate your facial appearance

+2

Thank you for your question and photograph. From your photograph you appear to be an excellent candidate for facelift and neck lift surgery.

The facelift and neck lift will lift the cheeks tighten the jawline and tighten the neck and should improve the appearance. Be aware however that fine lines around the lip and chin may require fractional erbium laser resurfacing as a second procedure if smooth skin is your desire.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS