How Many Facelift Procedures by a Doctor is Considered Experienced?

I am considering a facelift by an Oculoplastic Surgeon in the L.A. area who has done a cosmetic surgery fellowship. He is only board certified in (abms) Opthalmology. His office states he has done approx. 750 facelifts. I saw his before and after pics on his website and a person from this forum sent a before and after pic that looked really great and spoke highly of her experience with this doctor.

It is really difficult to find a great facelift Dr. when I do not have personal exp. with friends who have had one done. Can anyone advise best approach?

You are not going to find what you are looking for at this site

+2

You have now posted numerous times on this site questioning the credentials of this poor doctor.  He is probably a colleague  or even a very good friend of mine (I don't know who it is nor do I want to).  However, I am going to tell flat out not knowing who he is, that he is very well qualified to perform your facelift.  He is probably better qualified than many facial or general plastic surgeons you might interview and probably does a better facelift. However, none of that really matters.  

What matters is that you are comfortable with your surgeon.  If you truly felt comfortable with this surgeon, you would not be posting on this site questioning his or her qualifications.  No, you would have scheduled surgery and be looking forward to the prospect of an improved appearance.  Instead you are wasting your time second guessing if you are making the right choice.  

It's like a marriage, if you are not excited and a 1000 percent comfortable why are you at the alter? Just let it go.  Even if this surgeon's work is perfect, your lingering doubts may undermine your results.  Do yourself and your potential surgeon a favor and move on. Find someone you click with. Your facelift may be better, worse, or the same but it really does not matter because if you trust your surgeon and are 100% comfortable that is everything.

Facelift Experience

+2

Hi,

Its better to look for quality than quantity. If you learn to tie your shoelaces wrong you can do it 1000 times a day but it will still be wrong. If you like the results and you speak to several of the surgeons recent patients, don't get bogged down with numbers and wall plaques.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Eye doctor for your facelift

+1

Hi there-

If you needed a heart operation, would you rather have it done by someone who ahd trained in heart surgery, or by someone who trained to be an eye doctor, then decided they wanted to do heart surgery and spent one year trying to learn what real heart surgeons learn over many years?

Even if you were to accept that this eye doctor was taught how to do a proper facelift in his or her training, who do you think trained them? It is almost certain that is was- another eye doctor!

What do you think it says about them as a person and as a doctor that after all of those years training to take care of eyes, they started wanting to do facelifts?

I wouldn't go to an eye doctor for my facelift any more than I would want a patient coming to me for a cataract operation (no matter how much I was going to be paid).

There are many outstanding facelift surgeons in your area. Here's some advice on finding one you like and can trust:

Armando Soto, MD

Facelift experience of a surgeon

+1

Certainly 750 facelifts is experience, however, one needs to look at what type of facelift is being performed.

A mini lift is not a comprehensive face/neck lift because it is simply making some incisions around the ears and tightening up a little bit of the fascial layers and skin.

While a comprehensive face/neck lift involves addressing much more:

1. jowls,
  2. excess skin of the face and neck,
  3. platysmal bands in the neck,
  4. removing fat above and below the platysma muscle,
  5. tightening facial muscles and the neck muscles in the posterior and the front portion of the neck.

This type of facelift is not commonly taught in ophthalmology residency. Find a board certified facial plastic surgeon with lots of experience in the type of facelift that you need to have performed.

It is important that the procedure is performed in a Medicare certified ambulatory surgery center under the direct supervision of a board certified physician anesthesiologist. This is of paramount importance for patient safety.

Factors to consider for experienced facelift doctors

+1

Experience in facial plastic surgery (and everything else in medicine) is important. Other very important factors include the level and scope of training, surgical skill and judgment, aesthetic sense, personalized care, credentials, low percentage problems and complications, high percentage of very good results.

In general, the physicians who are best trained to perform facial plastic surgery (including facelifts) are facial plastic surgeons and general plastic surgeons. Ophthalmologists are not usually trained and experienced in performing facelift surgery. On the other hand, there may be an exceptional ophthalmologist or doctor in another specialty who obtains very good results.

There is no exact number of procedures that indicates that a surgeon obtains excellent results with minimum problems. There are some very busy surgeons who have a reduced skill level and obtain mediocre results. People seeking cosmetic surgery should be very selective in determining who performs their procedures.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right facelift surgeon.

+1

This is a very common dilemma in the United States because so many physicians are practicing cosmetic medicine. Specialists in cosmetic surgery are plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons and occuloplastic surgeons. Beware of the physician who claims to be a cosmetic surgeon without those titles and without board certification within each field. A board certified plastic surgeon should be competent within facelift surgery, though you can look at how many they do per year and if they have an specialized training in aesthetic surgery such as a fellowship. An occuloplastic surgeon typically spends the majority of time training in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery around the eye. If you have reservations you may want to consult with a plastic surgeon.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Evaluation of a Surgeon's Facelift Experience

+1

The number of procedures a surgeon has done is important only if the results are good. Make sure you see many pictures of patients who looked like you pre-operatively. Then have a consultation with him and others to assess your comfort level.

Facelift and surgeon experience

+1

First you want to make sure the surgeon is properly trained. An oculoplastic surgeon operates on the eyes (Oculo). He is not a plastic surgeon that does facelifting. But, a good plastic surgeon does not have to do thousands to be great at it.

Consider years of experience

+1

There is no # but years of experience can not be taken lightly. I personally have lost count after 500. I doubt you doctor unless he is over 50 years of age has done 750 facelifts. Be wary. See at least 3 board certified plastic or facial surgeons.

From MIAMI regards Dr. B

Eye surgeon for a facelift?

+1

With all due respect to that doctor, I'd strongly encourage you to go to a real board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon (ENT) for a facelift. You wouldn't want me replacing the lens in your eye so why would you want an eye surgeon doing your facelift? I'd say the surgeon should also have at least 10-15 years of experience after residency for the best outcome. Any experienced surgeon who has followed his/her patients for years will tell you that they are much better at a facelift than when they were closer to their residency training time.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS