Is It Ok to Have Facelift by a Otolarigologist?

Be certain that you trust your face to a specialist.

+2

I strongly believe that Facial Plastic Surgeons are uniquely qualified to perform facelift surgeries.  There are select physicians, including myself, that are double board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) and by the American Board of Otolaryngology.  The ABFPRS is a nationally recognized certifying board for surgeons specializing in plastic surgery of the face and neck.

When choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon, there are a series of questions every patient should ask:

1. Discuss your board certification?

2.  Where did you complete your training?

3.  Are you at the national forefront of your field?

4. How many facial plastic surgery cases have you performed?

5. How can I tell what I will look like after surgery?

6. Where will the surgery be performed?

7.  Can I see pictures of actual patients with my same concerns?

Hope this helps. -Ross A. Clevens, MD

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otolaryngologists for face lifts

+1

Performing a facelift requires specialized training, and ENT doctors as well as plastic surgeons can both be very well trained.  Make sure your Otolaryngologist has received specialized facial plastic or complete plastic surgical training, and that you are comfortable with his or her plan.  Ask for before and after photos, as well.  If the doctor is well trained and you are comfortable, you should be in good hands!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Facial Plastic Surgeon vs Plastic Surgeon

+1

An ENT with additional training in facial plastic surgery would be fine.  A plastic surgeon would be fine. 

Facelift by an Otolaryngologist

+1

It is acceptable to have a facelift by an otolaryngologist, however, make sure that the otolaryngologist has a lot of experience in facial cosmetic surgery and has done a facial plastic surgery fellowship.  An extensive amount of his practice should be devoted to facial cosmetic surgery.  The otolaryngologist who just performs an occasional facelift will probably not give the best results.

Facelift by an otolaryngologist

+1

Otolaryngologists with a board certification in Facial Plastic Surgery are very qualified to perform facelift procedures. However, I would not have facelift done by an otolaryngologist that does not have the additional fellowship training.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Credentials

+1

The answer to your very appropriate question is no. That is, an otolaryngologist with no post graduate training is probably not qualified to do facelift surgery. Those with further training in Facial Plastic Surgery are certainly trained to do facelifts. Therefore "double" board certification, while admirable, is necessary for facelift surgery and not necessarily indicative of any sort of advanced training. The same is true for general surgery certification leading to Plastic Surgery certification (the double boarded assertion is redundant). The entire certification issue gets cloudy when you throw in dematologists and dentists. Suffice it to say that real Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and Facial Plastic Surgeons are both potentially capable of doing facelifts. All bers are of when ENTs wonder out of the face and practice on the body without the proper training that they respect so much for the face.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Otolaryngologist performing facelift

+1

Facial plastic surgeons are trained in otolaryngology, or head and neck surgery. They then do additional fellowship training in facial plastic surgery. A general otolaryngoloist does not have specialized training performing a facelift, but a facial plastic surgeon does.  Overall, it is best to do the following when looking for a surgeon to perform your facelift:

1) Look for good credentials
2) Look for board certification

3) Establish good communication with your prospective surgeon
4) Ensure they have a good amount of before and after photos so you may get an idea of their results

5)  Look for good training

Thanks and good luck on your search! 

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Research Your Doctor, No Matter What Their Degree

+1

Most otolaryngologists have training in facial plastic surgery. However, many otolaryngologists choose to pursue additional training in either Facial Plastic Surgery or General Plastic Surgery and become fellowship trained and double-board certified. The best thing to do is to research your doctor, and talk to his or her patients. You can also get a referral from friends or relatives who have had similar procedures you are looking into.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otolaryngologist (ENT) and Facelift Surgery

+1

Facelift can be performed by an Otolaryngologist as long as he/she has the appropriate documented training through an accredited graduate medical education residency or fellowship, hospital privileges to perform a facelift, documentation of patients treated and is board certified in Otolaryngology

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Is It Ok to Have Facelift by a Otolarygologist?

+1

Otolaryngology training involves proficiency in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. If your otolaryngologist has further fellowship training in facial plastic surgery, then he or she most likely is Board Certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. If you meet with this doctor, feel comfortable, and like his work, then the answer to your question is yes.

Ramtin Kassir, MD