Facelift and MTHFR Gene Mutation

I am scheduled for a facelift with fat transfer in one month. I recently found out that I have a compound heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation. Have you ever heard of this? It is supposed to be an increased risk for vascular complications including blood clots. I am worried about this and what it means for my surgery. Can any of you comment on this or give me any advice?

Facelift and MTHFR

+1

You should have clearance from your hematologist prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery. It is important not to get a hematoma or pooling of blood underneath the skin after the surgery.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Facelift Surgery and Vascular Complications

+1

A thorough evaluation by a hematologist will determine if there is increased risk of bleeding or clotting complications with facelift surgery. You will follow the advice of your physicians, but remember this is elective cosmetic surgery.

Facelift and MTHFR gene Mutation

+1

As usual Dr Aldea's description is right on. Get a medical/genetic evaluation with your PS in concert. Most can have surgery but safety of the patient is paramount.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Cosmetic Surgery and the MTHFR gene Mutation

+1

MTHFR, the Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase mutation, is a congenital disorder in which the enzyme,methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, is either poorly or not produced. Affected people have either several anomalies such as the inability to absorb folate as well as either a normal or elevated homocystein level.

By itself, having a MTHFR mutation is not a clotting disorder. People with MTHFR mutation who have normal homocysteine levels are NOT at increased risk for clots. However those individuals with the homozygous MTHFR mutation who DO have elevated homocysteine levels are at a risk for blood clots.

Nonetheless, I would get your Plastic surgeon to consult a hematologist and make sure nothing needs to be done for your surgery.

Facelift with a possible bleeding disorder.

+1

You should have an evaluation by an internist or hematologist to make sure you will not have a problem with your surgery. They will be able to answer this question better.