Is It Safe to Have Facelift and Liposuction at Same Time?

I am considering Facelift/Neck Lift procedures and Liposuction of abdominal area. I am 63 white male in good shape, 6'1", 180 lbs. Is this too much for one surgery?

Facelift or necklift and concurrent abdominal liposuction

+3

Although it seems like a good idea to have everything performed at the same time under one anesthetic session, the longer the case, the higher the potential for complications to occur. These complications can be more that just problems with the surgical site, but, also major complications such as infection or thrombosis that would require hospitalization.

Not all facelifts require the same amount of surgical time and not all liposuction does either. At 6'1" and 180 lbs, I would guess that your abdominal liposuction would be minimal. You may want to consider having this procedure after you have recovered from your facelift and necklift. I think you will be pleased to know that your abdominal liposuction can be performed under local (tumescent) anesthesia and your recovery should be fairly rapid.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining facelift and liposuction surgery

+3

Combining surgeries does theoretically increase the risk of complications, especially if the "magic number" of 6 hours is exceeded.

Yet there are many series of very experienced surgeons which show very high safety profiles with combined procedures. We have patients sign a separate consent form indicating that the risks of combined procedures may be greater than the procedures performed individually (because of court precedent). However, I'm not sure myself that this is truly the case, especially if the surgeon is conservative and if only suitable candidates are chosen. Complicated issue, as you can see.

Still, every patient is different. There are patients in whom I would offer combined facelift and liposuction procedures, others who were less healthy where I would certainly stage them. The health of the patient, the magnitude of the facelift, the magnitude of the liposuction would all factor in.

A straightforward facelift with a little liposuction on the abdomen in a younger patient is completely different from a facelift with numerous ancillary procedures and full body liposuction in a less healthy heavy set patient. One would be reasonable, the other probably not.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Safety concerns combining liposuction with a facelift

+2

Hi David135 - A moderate amount of liposuction with a facelift should be fine. The amount of time in the operating room sounds like it will be around 6-8 and if you're in good shape as you indicated you should be okay. I would strongly suggest an overnight stay in the hospital at which you're having your procedures. This will help with the immediate recovery and pain control. If you're considering a lot of liposuction (entire abdomen with hips) then I would separate the two procedures. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Liposuction and Facellift Safe?

+2

All procedures have some risk, but multiple procedures done together create a risk that probably is greater than the sum of the independent risks. These are elecitve procedures and you should not compromise your health for convenience. The safest manner in which to proceed is to do the surgery that would give you the improvement in your body's condition which displeases you the most. Then heal and when fully recovered, consider having the second procedure several months later.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Combining facelift and abdominal liposuction?

+2

I would not personally advocate this combination of procedures. In my opinion, you are increasing the risks by extending the surgery to closer to the maximum safe time for elective outpatient cosmetic surgery - 6 hours. I think your surgeon can also do a better job for you on each area by separating them and really focusing on each individually.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Facelift and abdominal liposuction

+1
Hi David,
If you are healthy and your a surgery is not longer than eight hours total, I would suggest you have both procedures performed at the same time. If you are planning to have a facelift and abdominal liposuction, I would not remove more than 5 L of abdominal fat. 
The benefits include one anesthesia and one healing period. The risks include longer anesthesia time with its associated risks. However, if you're considering having both procedures performed eventually, the overall risks of one procedure compared to two procedures are probably about the same. Good luck.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

​Male Facelift and Liposuction

+1

In my practice we routinely perform combined facelift and liposuction. There are many factors to consider to assure a safe and wonderful outcome , including the patient’s health and the length of total surgical time. It is imperative that the surgeon has skills and experience to carefully assess patient’s existing anatomy, create a proper surgical plan and then execute the plan in a precise and safe fashion. Make sure to check out your surgeon’s credentials and track record, take a look at he before and after photos to make sure the surgeon can deliver on his promises.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Face lift and liposuction

+1

The safety profile is primarily dependent on the amount if time it takes to do the surgeries. The combination of procedures you have mentioned is less of a problem than the time needed to complete both procedures.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Safety of Liposuction and a Facelift Done at the Same Time

+1

It is not infrequent to do combination surgery including a face and necklift with liposuction of the abdominal area or any other area if the patient is healthy. This can be done in a reasonable time period, (i.e. six hours or less). The most important thing is that you’re healthy and to do it within an accredited operating room with a Board Certified Anesthesiologist and CRNA. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to do these procedure combinations and it is safe if you have the expertise and experience to do so in a healthy patient.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Facelift and liposuction commonly done simultaneously

+1

Certainly, a face/neck lift and liposuction of the abdominal area can be performed simultaneously. These are commom procedures that can be done simultaneously without any problems whatsoever.