Facelift or Lifestyle Lift for Jowls?

I am a 48-year-old female. I'm a little overweight, have jowls, and a fat neck area. I have been considering Liposuction, although I was told a year ago that it can make the skin hang more. I never had a defined jaw line even when a I was a teenager. I'm afraid of Facelift although I believe that will give the best results. Do you agree? Should I have Facelift or Lifestyle Lift?

Facelift vs. Lifestyle Lift

+4

You will, in my opinion, achieve your best result with a volume adjusting, volume replacing multivector facelift performed by a highly skilled surgeon than an inexpensive LifeStyle Lift performed by a novice or non board certified doctor.

I personally believe the LifeStyle Lift is particularly weak for the jowls, simply because the surgery doesn't go far enough in about an hour under local anesthesia to make a significant long term difference in the jowl area, particularly for heavier patients.

Minilifts are cheaper, but not better. They simply don't do enough, and don't do it with the many great techniques now available such as multivector, volume replacement, complete deep tissue rearrangement facelifts.

Almost any surgery can be performed under local anesthesia or with IV sedation in the tolerant patient. You can judge yourself how happy the LifeStyle Lift patients have been from the posts on this website and elsewhere on the internet.

To summarize the experience of the branded minilift patients I have seen in my office, they have had all the incisions they would have had from a facelift, except the minilift incisions were closed under tension (minimal undermining means you don't reach the target areas, and have to pull tighter to compensate), but the results didn't last.

We see many branded minilift patients in our office requesting further rejuvenation, correction of disfiguring scars around their ears, and reconstruction of unnatural appearing earlobes. Fortunately correction is usually possible. I just feel bad for the patients who paid for a minilift, had a disappointing result, and now have to pay for a reconstructive facelift. I feel even worse for patients who spent all their money on a branded minilift, had an unsatisfactory result, and are now stuck with that result.

These surgeries are completely elective. That means there is no urgency. It pays to do a little homework before this major step, rather than to have to search for "surgeons who can fix this."

Not so excited about the Lifestyle facelift.

+3

Dear Gbarbie4

I see a number of patients every week who are unhappy with the results on their proprietary facelift. Many of these procedures are heavily promoted on tv and are otherwise heavily promoted. Many of these surgeries are surprisingly expensive when you consider what is not included. But by far the biggest issues is the lack of personalized tailoring and finesse that is an essential part of any well done facelift. Many of these proprietary facelifts are hack jobs. So what is going on here?

I think there is a certain reality that many general plastic surgeons facial plastic surgeons are not well trained in facelifting in their residency and fellowship programs. They have trouble establishing their own facelift practice as a result and become a franchisee of one of these heavily marketed facelifts. This is primarily a marketing relationship with perhaps a weekend program for the doc to learn how do the minifacelift. The lack of training does not go away just because the surgeon is now being funneled a ton of new patients as a result of the marketing. Do your own research on this site and elsewhere. Patients are not happy with the results.

Inherently, there is noting wrong with the concept of a minifacelift for the right patient . The problem is the lack of individualization. There is nothing wrong with a facelift under local anesthesia for the right patient. Again this is not right for every person. Don't save money by getting a proprietary facelift. Do more homework and find an ethical surgeon with a good reputation who was able to established their own facelift practice and does not have to resort to marketing gimmicks. Their are more likely to get you what you want the first time round.

Best Facelift for Jowls - Many choices

+2

Without photos or an exam it is hard to tell which would be best for you thougth from your description you may do well with a short scar/mini facelift such as a MACS, LiteLift, Quicklift, etc.

First off, to my knowledge there is no one technique called "LifeStyle Lift" rather it is a marketing name .Lifestyle Lift  a trademarked brand name and also is a chain of  facial cosmetic  clinics with headquarters in Troy, Michigan.

As advertised, the LIFESTYLE LIFT is a minimally invasive, short scar  lower face lift performed under local anesthesia and yes it involves cutting and sutures. The reason no one will tell you is probably because as far as I can tell there is no one specific technique, or even a published description of why this differs from other short scar techniques. It is performed by  Facial Plastic Surgeons, Head and Neck Surgeons, and Plastic Surgeons..

The LifeStyle Lift is a proprietary heavily branded type of mini lift.  It is a mini-lift under my reasoning that it is focused on the lower face, does not require general anesthesia, and has abbreviated incisions, takes a shorter time to perform and recover from in comparison to a traditional facelift. But then again there are lots of mini-lifts that offer similar claims.
The mini-lifts may be tough to choose from because of all the brand names such as LifeStyle Lift, S-Lift, Quick Lift, LiteLift, MACS and others.
There is however, a need for traditional facelifts. For example, if you have a large amount of redundant neck skin and fat or turkey waddle deformity, you may benefit more by liposuction and a traditional facelift which does better with lower neck skin redundancy.

Probably most important is the skill and experience of the surgeon. Always check out his/her before and after photos and ask to see long term results and most of all that he is trained and a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  or Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience over many years.
Remember it is the skill and experience of the surgeon that counts not the name !!  Great surgeons get great results, period. The best way to find one is to start with a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  or Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience over many years. Ask to see before and after photos, especially long term ones. and ask the number of times you will be seen afterwards by the surgeon rather than a medical assistant. A good place to start is "find a doctor" on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons web sites.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lifestyle lift vs facelift

+2

I am not a fan of the marketing named face lift procedures.  These are all marketed as limited lifts and not necessarily performed by plastic surgeons.  Caveat emptor..or buyer beware!

It's your money! You decide...

+2

Dr Predniville always has the perfect answer and he summerizes the issues quite well. I would only add that in my practice I find the classic face-lift less than ideal for correction of jowels in a fuller face. I typically will do an extended midface lift with a neck lift and some fat contouring around the jowels and neck. These are much more involved procedures and offer better results that what can be achieved with a "life-style lift".

Something that occurs to me everytime I see a lifestyle lift ad. Someone is paying for those ads. Who does? The patients do. Lets say you send $6000 on a "life-style lift". A portion of that fee goes to the lifestyle lift company (they have to make their money), a portion goes to pay for all the advertising and marketing, a portion goes to pay for the office. The surgeon then gets a small portion of what you pay. This is not a good value for you. Lets say you pay a private practice surgeon $6000 for a facelift. The largest portion goes to the surgeon, some goes to the anesthesiologist and some cover the facility fee. Typically much more of your money is going to pay the person who is actually operating on you. Which would you rather have? A doctor getting $800 for a procedure or $3000 for the same procedure. Who is going to take more time and do a better job.

The lifestyle lift surgeon is going to try to do the procedure as quickly as possible. They are not getting paid by the hour. Your money is going to be applied towards your care when you go with a private surgeon rather than a corporation that employes surgeons. I will say that there are some lifestyle lift surgeons that do a great job because they are great surgeons. You just need to consider where you want you money going and what exactly it is buying you.

Hope this helps...

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lifestyle Lift? No Way

+2

Whatever you do, you want to be happy with your eventual result. Lifestyle Lift is a company with aggressive advertising. Your are being "sold" the idea of an amazing result with little or no downtime and a safer procedure to boot. Truthfully, the advertising is quite seductive. However, it is critical to remember that your result comes from the expertise, judgment, and technical skill of your surgeon, not the appeal of the marketing. I would like to review a few facts about Lifestyle Lift, a Facelift-type procedure, performed in a "Lifestyle Lift facility":

1) Is it "revolutionary"? No. It is actually a simplified form of a Facelift which is performed more quickly.

2) Is a quicker procedure a better procedure? Absolutely not. You wouldn't want any surgeon to cut corners for the basic reason of time management. It doesn't make sense.

3) Is Lifestyle Lift "safer" than a facelift? No. For starters, this is a statement that has no scientific validity and is patently false. In fact, at least two patients (that are known about) have died during or shortly after a Lifestyle Lift, one in the Orlando area, and one in Waltham Massachussets.

4) What does accreditation of a surgical facility mean? For patient safety, and via mandate from the ASPS and the AAFPRS, all Plastic Surgeons and Facial Plastic Surgeons who have their own surgical facilities must make sure that a national accrediting body ensures the facility meets certain stringent criteria; this helps ensure the quality and safety of the facility. This is done to ensure that patients are exposed to a safe, sterile, and well managed surgical facility

5) Are Lifestyle Lift centers accedited by any major national accrediting body such as ACHA, JCAHO, AAAASF, AAAHC? No.

6) Is a "Lifestyle Lift" performed with local anesthesia and oral sedation (according to a variety of reports on this website and patient reports) a good idea? If you are receiving large doses of oral sedation, you should also be monitored by an individual trained to manage an airway, and who is not performing the case, such as an Anesthesiologist or CRNA. There is no monitoring by Anesthesiologists or CRNA's in Lifestyle lift facilities.

7) Do Lifestle Lift facilities have transfer agreements with hospitals or surgeons with hospital priveleges? In certain cases, the answer is No.

8) Case Example of the Cost of Lifestyle Lift?  Yesterday, I saw a patient in my office that had LSL performed 1 year ago.  After the swelling had subsided, her results were not impressive.  To enhance her result, she then had a variety of fillers, IPL treatments, and laser treatments by the same LSL doctor in his private office.  End result? $8,000 out of pocket, and sense of satisfaction low.  She now presents to my office, after having spent $8,000, with poorly executed LSL scars, and having to start over.  Cost effective? No.

So, my distillation of thought is as follows: do your research. Consider the points mentioned above and reach a conclusion you are comfortable with. However, if you feel that a Lifestyle Lift is somehow safer than a Facelift, the facts do not bear this out. If you think that somehow Lifestyle lift is a form of technical advancement in Facelift surgery, or is a minimally invasive procedure, the facts also do not bear this out.  If you think Lifestyle Lift is better becase it is cheaper, read the reviews on this website and consider the case example described above.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs Lifestyle lift

+2

Just look here on REALSELF.com over 70% of the Life Style Lift patients are unhappy. You should see a boarded plastic surgeon who can do mini face lifts and full face lifts. BTW LSL is a micro mini face lift being poorly done.

From MIAMI

Facelift is longer lasting than a mini-lift

+2

A comprehensive face/neck lift will address all the issues respective of the jaw line, the jowls, excess neck skin, fat, and tightening facial muscles. A mini lift will give mini and temporary results. It is best to make sure that patients are not overweight and in excellent health, and then perform a proper face/neck lift for comprehensive facial rejuvenation.

See a plastic surgeon who is a facelift specialist.

+2

The best way to solve your problem is by seeing an experienced facelift surgeon who can give you the advantages and disadvantages of doing procedures differently. Jowls are usually not corrected in my view with the minilifts or any of the catchy named minilifts. You will get more for your money with a real facelift-and in the long run it will be cheaper.

Look for the experienced facelift surgeon who can give you the result you are looking for

+2

It sounds to me that you have somewhat heavy jowl and neck tissues, features which put you in the "likely dissatisfied" group for a mini-lift.

You may benefit most from a deep-plane face and neck lift with repositioning and sculpting of tissues. It is certainly worthwhile to invest more time (and may be money) into your face to ensure that you made the right decision.

Good luck!

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon