Will I Need a Facelift to Fix my Neck?

Will I need a face lift to fix my neck, I am only 42 and have extra skin on neck when I look down. Is it possible to do just a neck lift?

Face lift or neck lift at 42

+2

Thank you for asking about a face lift.

1. Your profile suggests some early loosening of the lower face and neck.
  2. A neck liposuction and/or neck lift will improve your profile.
  3. A face lift - according to research - will give you the best, longest-lasting result but costs more.
  4. Neck folds are normal - if this is all that troubles you - wait a while!
  5. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Facelift or necklift is probably not needed here.

+2

Your photos do not seem to show excessive facial laxity or jowl formation in the one photo where you are not flexing your neck forward. BTW, even a child will get a "double or triple chin" when trying to touch the chin to the chest!

At your age, need for facelift/necklift is possible, but unusual. Rather, you have a relative microgenia (small chin), and if you do not need orthodontia or jaw surgery (dentist or oral surgeon will know if you don't already), a modest extended anatomic chin implant placed via a submental incision (NOT through the mouth) will enhance your jawline, tighten the skin nicely, and allow access to the anterior neck for direct excision of the submental fat, subplatysmal fat if needed, and anterior platysmaplasty if needed. If your physical examination makes you a candidate for this, you can possibly achieve results like my patient in the link below.

Seek several opinions from ABPS-certified plastic surgeons in your area to decide on the best approach. Good luck!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs. Necklift

+1

In general, if performing a necklift you will need to perform the lower facelift with the necklift. However, in the isolated patient that has good facial tone and only extra skin in the neck one can do an isolated necklift with plastysmal plication, however, this is done only in a small percentage of patients.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Facelift needed?

+1

You can get a nice improvement of your neck contour with just a neck lift requiring an incision under the chin.  This would not allow removal of any skin but would allow contouring  of the neck.  A face + neck lift with incisions also around the ears wold allow for skin removal and would get you an even better result - but for a price (more incisions, more recovery, more cost)

Sam Naficy, MD

Face Lift

+1

Usually a facelift is needed to help get rid of the extra skin from pulling the neck up and back.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to guide you in this decision.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Options for rejuvination of the neck

+1

Flexing your neck will always distory your appearance. Regardless of what type of facial or neck rejuvination surgery that you chose you would always have some laxity and foling of the skin when you flexed your neck.

Your left profile picture shows a slight degree of platysmal banding. The front profile picture shows a slight amount of jowling on the left. The more apparent problem is the submental fullness (excess fat under the chin). Again, this is natural when you flex your neck and I can't tell if you are flexing your neck in that picture.

OVerall, you are young and seem to have minimal jowling and platysmal banding. You have a couple of options. Lipocontouring of the neck can often create a very nice cervicomental angle and tighten the skin as well. Another added benefit is that it could give you the appearance of more chin projection. You could add a small extended anatomical chin implant to enhance the results of lipocontouring. If you want to be very thorough you could add a neck left. However, I question the benefit that you would get at your age.

Utimately, you need to be evaluated by an experienced surgeon with your neck in the neutral position to get the most accurate analysis. Your surgeon can then give you options. 

Todd C. Miller, MD

Neck lift or neck liposuction are possible without a facelift

+1

It is, in fact, possible to do a neck lift alone.  However, at age 42, a simpler procedure such as neck liposuction may be all that’s required to address your concerns.  The post-operative inflammation following liposuction in this area will cause the skin to shrink, eliminating the appearance of “extra skin” and improving the natural contours of your neck.  This is likely all that’s required in your case.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Customized approach to Facelifts

+1

A good surgeon does no two surgeries which are identical .  Each facelift plan requires analysis of your unique facial change that needs to be corrected.

Since your problem area is excess skin on your neck only, you will need just neck lift.  However to blend the transition from face to neck y some tightening of lower face will also be needed.  However if you were to give this procedure a name, it will be called NECK LIFT.  A good surgeon will always analyse, plan and then carry out the treatment plan.  Key is always to find the right surgeon.  Good luck

Vasdev Rai, MD

Necklift is a good option

+1

Yes, you might be a good candidate for a lower necklift.  An easy way to tell is if you like what you see when you pull in the mirror, you may be a good candidate.  

Very few people look good with their chin touching down to their chest, so I do not recommend judging yourself this way.  Consider that you never really talk to people that way, you typically have your chin neutral or pointing slightly up.

Of course, you do need a consultation with an artist/surgeon that specializes in facelifts and necklifting procedures.  Best of Luck!

Richard Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Extra skin on my neck with I look down...

+1

Unfortunately you will probably not like my answer, but... That extra skin is there so you can look up... 

The reality is, we need some degree of extra skin in order to move our limbs, trunk, head and neck. 

Too tight and we would be stiff, restricted by the lack of flexibility of our skin.

Sagging or loose neck skin when in a resting position is best treated by surgical excision, or a neck lift. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon