Facelift with Fat Transfer, Brow Lift and Canthopexy?

I am super unhappy with my cantho results. I didn't realize it would change the shape of my eye. It's too almond-cat like and I am very sad about it. Surgery was 12-17-2012. How long do i need to wait before getting a correction? Can you undo it? Will it create more problems? Dr indicates it will resolve on its own as the swelling and fat start to calm down. I also have uneven eyes right now as a result. Fat was put in upper and lower eye area and there is tons of swelling. I loved my eyes.

Swelling and Canthopexy Producing Strange Eyes

+3

You are very early in your recovery, and swelling is playing a role in the way you look.  In addition, the canthopexy always relaxes.  You may very well look good in a few month's time.  I usually reserve canthopexy or plasty for those individuals who demonstrate poor eyelid tone on physical exam.  If you had poor tone before surgery, then there is no getting around this temporarily unnatural look of the eyes. 

Eye tightness after surgery

+2

Whether your canthopexy is permanent or temporary depends on whether the suture used is a permanent or temporary suture.  Asymmetry of your eyes may be the result of the swelling.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Way too early to be concerned

+2

You are very early in your post-operative recovery. The eyelid shape is most commonly exaggerated in the first few weeks after surgery. Be patient with your body and don't worry about results until at least 3 months post op.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Canthopexy Result, Too Almond-Cat Like. Can It Be Undone? When?

+2

At two weeks, you can't tell yet.  Whenever you do a canthal support procedure initially you have that tight cat look. It goes away as you heal.

If it is still too almond-eyed, you can release the canthal support stitch or reposition it.

Fat grafting around the eyes causes a lot of swelling. Give it two months to make a final judgement.

Reoperation is never done until at least three months have passed, unless there is an obvious gross misplacement of tissue.  You get more swelling and scarring and more problems correcting the initial surgery if you do it sooner.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Facelift with Canthopexy

+2

Facelift with canthopexy is a very powerful tool to rejuvenate the aging face.  I believe the canthopexy is an integral part of the facelift/eyelid rejuvenation procedure.  I warn my patients that they will temporarily look uplifted or "cateye" as you describe, but this temporary look will subside in a few weeks.  When canthopexy is not performed, often the eyes will continue to look sad or tired.  You may ask your surgeon if gentle massage is permissable at this point, but you should feel confident that things will relax over time.  Try to be patient and know that things will improve.

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and canthopexy

+2

Most of the "cat eye" look will like improve/resolve. I would not recommend re-do for at least 6 months.

Most swelling would be better by about 10 to 14 days. However, if you hace fat transfer, it may take longer.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Canthopexy results

+1

If your surgeon performed a canthopexy I would imagine that he or she discussed the reasoning and goals involved with it.  If your lower lid was lax, then it was likely necessary.  The tissues will stretch and look less dramatic with time, and some swelling is normal and expected.  If a temporary suture was used, then things will return toward normal in a few months once that suture dissolves.  If the suture was permanent, then you should give some time for the swelling to resolve.  Cutting the suture as a revision will help things return toward normal after a period of healing.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Change in shape of the eye after surgery

+1

It is very early to tell whether your eyes have really changed shape or not. The canthopexy procedure usually changes the shape of the eye temporarily. It can also do so permanently, so its best to wait and see.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Canthopexy Result Concers

+1

At this point, it is too early to judge the final result, especially given that you still have so much swelling.

Canthopexies usually provide mild changes to the eye slant and I would expect quite a change over the next few weeks.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon