Facelift Concerns One Year Post-op?

Diamond shape area under my chin below incision that is thick and noticeable, feels like fatty tissue. PS. has no answer but I never had this before.Is it fat or muscle and should it be there? Also, notice areas of old sun damage on cheeks (small patches of darker pigmentation) getting much larger.Are they more visible because of the skin being stretched during the facelift or did something from the surgery caused them to grow.Fat transfers are almost gone, should more be done & w/what method?

Concerned about my facelift results

+1

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your facelift results. Without pictures it is difficult to determine exactly what the issue could be. It's possible that you have a fat pocket under your chin or residual scar tissue. If scar tissue you may benefit from steroid injections to try and decrease the inflammation. If residual fat, you may benefit from revision lipocontouring in the neck. The regions of hyperpigmented regions can be addressed with laser resurfacing. Make sure that you are protecting your skin with a minimum SPF 30 sunscreen. Make an appointment with a qualified and experienced facial plastic surgeon to have your concerns further evaluated.

Swelling and dark spots a year after Facelift or Mini-Facelift

+1

Without seeing your before and after pictures or examining your face in person, it is difficult to say exactly what is happening.  However, fullness or swelling, particularly in the area under the chin, can happen after certain facelifting techniques.  If an incision was made under the chin to access and tighten the platysma muscles, this could be scarring in the skin or an inflammatory reaction to sutures (seroma or granuloma).  Also, if the platysma muscles were pulled toward the middle, there may be a lump where they were sutured together.  As for the dark spots, I specifically instruct all of my facial rejuvenation patients to avoid any significant sun exposure after surgery.  During the healing process, the skin becomes very sensitive to UV light and any pigmentation issues can become worse with even a little extra sun.  It is important to meet with your surgeon to discuss these issues.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Issues After Facelift

+1

Facial photos would be very helpful to answer your question concerning your area beneath the chin.  If you have pigmented areas of skin then a good program of a moisturizer, sunscreen (SPF 30) and Retinol would be good. Additionally IPL treatment may be beneficial.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Face lift concerns

+1

Swelling under the chin may be from sutures used to correct banding from your neck muscles, but these should be improving after a year.  Your skin concerns certainly could be from stretching, but at a year out you should be using a good skin care program to help with these spots to protect your face lift investment.  Fat transfers are quite variable in their survival, but can be repeated if necessary.  Discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon, and get another opinion if necessary.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Concerns After 1 Year - Thick Tissue Under Chin

+1

The results at one year are the results, and a thick area under the chin may be fat, thickened scar, or both.  Weight gain and loss can affect this fat pad as well.  The age spots may have stretched with the stretch placed on the skin from the facelift.  It would be hard to recommend a course of action with the neck without an examination.  Please find the board certified plastic surgeon with the best credentials for the revision.

Problems after facelift, litelift, quicklift, lifestylelift

+1

most irregularites settle in the first year,    a small revision may be needed to correct the fullness in this area.

change in skin color can be due to shifted skin,   healing post op.

consider lightners, retin a,   skin peel,   photofacial

Facelift concerns

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.  Irregularities in the chin/submental area are fairly common in the early post-operative period following facelift surgery but should have essentially resolved at the 1 year mark.  It is possible that there is a fatty deposit present, but it's difficult to know without physical examination.  As for the dark areas, they may just be enlarging as a result of sun exposure over the years or may have been stretched to some degree.  Again, a visit and physical examination would be beneficial.  Hope this helps!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Concerns One Year Post-op

+1

Your concerns about pigmentation and contour irregularities will not improve now that you're one year after the facelift. I need to see pictures to make recommendations regarding possible revisions.

Facelift Healing

+1

I am sorry you have these concerns. My thoughts - 

• the thick area under the chin may be scar, fat or excess skin. If you were my patient and the tissue is hard, I would try a steroid injection to soften it,
  • sun damage getting worse a year after the face lift is most likely is from sun exposure of the operated skin. Be sure to wear a titanium/zinc oxide sun block. Topical tretinoin and hydroquinone and a TCA peel may help,
  • about 80-90% of a fat transfer absorbs. Repeated fat transfers can be done.
  • Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Facelift Healing

+1

To answer this question you would either need to be seen in person or post good pre and post op photographs.  If there is residual fat under the chin, you may be able to have some liposuction.  However, if you are recent post-op, it may just be swelling.  Also, you may be palpating your submandibular glands.  It is best to ask your plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD