Had Facelift and CO2 Laser 1 Year Apart: Resulted in Bags Under Eyes

How do I have this problem corrected, returned to doctor and he wants to do another lower blephoplasty, the first was done when I had the facelift done. He said this would change the shape of my eyes which I am not happy about.

He said when the laser treatment was done the skin under the eye tighten up to much, thus pulling my lower lid down, at this time there appears to be a bag under my eye. If you pull on the corner of the eye the bag disappears. This doctor performed both procedures.

Not All Eye Bags Are the Same

+1
Without photos or an exam it is difficult to give an accurate opinion. Not all eye "bags" are the same. For example redundant skin, chronic swelling, fat pads, or inherent lymphedema such a festoons all would be addressed differently.

Bags Under Eyes

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  Some bags, such as festoons, are not easily treated with surgery.

Sam Naficy, MD

Lower eyelid bags after facelift and co2 laser resurfacing

+1

This could be due to scar tissue, retained fat, muscle, skin or just additional aging. When related to co2 resurfacing it could be more scarring.  Hard to tell without pictures. The aging process is due to volume changes a lot of times.  To me this is a big factor that contributes to aging.  The lower eyelid lift tends to remove fat so that the junction between your lower eyelids and cheeks are a better transition.  This can only occur to a certain degree.  After this volume replacement is the best way to improve the situation. I like volume replacement with fillers or fat injections. You can read more about my theories on my website regarding this.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat or Fluid is the cause of a Bag under your Eye

+1

Only two important causes exist for the persistent bag under your eye. It most likely represents herniated fat. The other possibility is fluid (allergies) persistent swelling etc.  Both situations are repairable. I agree with obtaining a second opinion. By the way Erbium or CO2 lasering of the lower eye lid is safe and effective for removing lightly  wrinkled skin, only when it is done to deep will you get scarring. 

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Bags after lower eyelid surgery

+1

Unfortunately, without photos and an examination it is virtually impossible to determine what the extent of your problem is and what it might take to fix it.  Any recommendations at this point are purely speculation.  If you are comfortable with your plastic surgeon, then he may well be able to fix the problem.  If you feel that you are not confident in his abilities to address your eyelids, then you should seek a second opinion by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Second opinions can be very helpful even if you end up back with the original surgeon.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Laser and bleph with problems

+1

He said when the laser treatment was done the skin under the eye tighten up to much, thus pulling my lower lid down, at this time there appears to be a bag under my eye. If you pull on the corner of the eye the bag disappears. This doctor performed both procedures

this is a complex area and no one should try to make a diagnosis without the relevant facts. likewise the skill or knowledge of the surgeon cannot be assumed from this small vingette. having said that it is time to get a second opinion. the expertise should be in lower lid malposition. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Droopy lower eyelid after eyelid surgery and laser.

+1

The combination of lower eyelid surgery with laser resurfcaing could have caused the lower eyelid to droop...called "malposition".  You should see your surgeon and ask about remedies or for a referral to an occuloplastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment, should one be recommended at this time.  I typically will not use a strong resurfacing agent on the lower eyelids as this delicate, thin skin can tighten to the point that the lower eyelid changes position.

Persistent eyelid bags after lower blepharoplasty

+1

Without seeing a picture, it is difficult to say what you would need to correct your concern. It sounds as if you may have a malar festoon that may need tightening done with an extended blepharoplasty to correct. However, I cannot say for sure without pictures. It may be worthwhile to show this situation to your surgeon and see what he says is the cause of your persistent bag.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your surgeon means well but is barking up the wrong tree.

+1

Your surgeon is trying to fix a problem but it sounds like he or she does not understand eyelid and midface anatomy well enough to address your concerns.  The problem it that resources for fixing these types of problems in Montana are essentially nonexistent.  You might consider getting consultations outside your area.  Closest to you is Denver.  Ultimately, it is Los Angeles, New York and Miami where the greatest concentration of surgeons with the appropriate skills to address these issues practice.  Please don't "double down" with a surgeon who could not fix the problem in the first place after creating it.  Do a search on fixing eyelid surgery and see where that leads you.

+1

It sounds like you should get a second opinion from an Oculoplastic surgeon.  You can got to the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery website and search for a surgeon near you.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon