Can a Facelift Cause Damage to Jaw Movement, Mouth Opening? Can It Cause TMJ? What Can I Do to Treat This?

I am having difficulty and pain in opening my mouth and chewing. I am 2yrs from the facelift surgery. This started 4 months after surgery. What can I do to treat this, either at home or by medecine? Thank you

My jaw won't open after a facelift

+1

It's very unlikely that your jaw pain is related to your facelift surgery, especially given the fact that it started 4 months after the surgery. The first thing I would recommend is to  have this condition checked by and ENT surgeon to ensure that there is nothing in your mouth or throat that is creating this difficulty such as a tonsil mass. Usually the TMJ is the source of this type of pain in which case a soft diet with warm compresses and anti-inflammatory medication will help with the symptoms and an oral surgeon can evaluate for further treatment. Regardless, it is important that you have this checked out.

Facelift usually does not cause TMJ disorder

+1

It would be rare for your symptoms to be from your facelift.  Sometime chewing can be a bit rough for the first couple of weeks.  I agree with the other post that severe mouth opening can contribute, but this is also unlkely.  I would recommend an oral surgeon who deals with joint problems.  They may order an MRI of the joint.  In the meantime, try Motrin and warm compresses and stay away from meals that make you chew overtime!

Ryan N. Heffelfinger, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

TMJ after face lift

+1

It is theoretically possible to affect the TMJ region by deep sutures used during a face lift.  A visit with a TMJ specialist and an MRI may be useful

Sam Naficy, MD

Can my facelift cause damage for my mouth movement or opening? help!

+1

facelifting itself usually does not cause injury or damage to the jaw or the jaw joint called the temporomandibular joint. If your procedure was performed under general anesthesia. However, sometimes the anesthesia person will open the mouth very widely to allow for the airway to be placed carefully. This can overextend the jaw opening and give pain and tightness at the jaw joint for a number of weeks or even months after surgery. Should this happen physical therapy is often indicated and can be very helpful. You should discuss this concern with the person who provided anesthesia for your facelift operation and your plastic surgeon. Best wishes – Dr. Joseph from the

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and jaw stiffness

+1
Pain opening your jaw can be related to a problem with the joint, or TMJ, but is not a problem we see after facelift. If the pain persists you might have to see a specialist.
Peter Johnson, MD