Facelift Brow Lift Neck Lift? (photo)

Had about surgery April 17, 2013 my question is the problem with my left upper lip which I forgot to mention is I'm unable to lick anything off a spoon Pucker my upper lip. 2nd do the muscles tighten as they heal or not? Thank you to all the Doctors that responded. Very much appreciated. Jo

Upper lip weakness after facelift usually returns to normal

+3

Thank you for your question.  The left upper lip weakness is due to dysfunction of the left buccal branch of the facial nerve.  It is not complete and should recover completely.

It is not uncommon for this to occur after a facelift.  Fortunately the buccal branch of the facial nerve has many interconnections and almost always recovers fully.  Recovery can take several months.  However if it persists ask your surgeon if he or she feels DC or direct current electrical stimulation will help you recovery.

Upper Lip

+2

Upper lip weakness can happen after a facelift. Fortunately, most of these improve with time and go away. Based on your photo, you do have muscle movement although asymmetric ( dyskinesia). Give this a few months to heal. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Weaknesses after facelifts

+2

such as what you describe can and do happen.  Fortunately, you already demonstrate muscle movement and situation should improve over time back to normal.  Be patient.

Curtis Wong, MD

Weakness of the lip after facelift surgery

+2

Based on your description and photos you seem to be describing some weakness in the upper lip muscles which is likely due to an injury to a branch of the facial nerve during the SMAS elevation portion of the procedure.On your photo where you are smiling this nerve branch appears to be mostly functioning so it is likely the injury is only a bruise or a stretch injury and is not at the base of the nerve but further out toward the end. Fortunately these injuries usually do resolve in time . I would expect it to be fully recovered in 2 to 3 months.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Brow Lift Neck Lift?

+2

Appears as a paresis of the maxillary branch of the facial nerve that will recover in a few more months. Call your surgeon to discuss

Facelift, Browlift, Neck Lift Post OP

+2

If you are having issues with your upper lip, you must have had some type of lip surgery at the same setting.  The procedures you mentioned would not have caused a stiff upper lip.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon and ask him if he used any Botox in your upper lip at the time of surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lip Weakness After Facelift?

+1

Dear Jo,

thank you for your question and photos.  Upper lip weakness can happen after a face lift.  If there is too much stretch on a nerve, it an temporarily disfunction.  This is temporarly and usually resolves completely.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lip Weakness Post Facelift

+1

It may just be that the muscles of the upper lip are weaker due to your procedures; with time, it should return back to normal or very close.  Be patient as you continue to heal and after the full recovery time you should be very pleased with your result. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon