Facelift Before, During or After Rhinoplasty?

I am 58 - I would like a facelift to remove jowls and improve neck - and would also like my nose thinned, narrowed as I notice everyone's nose seems to "take over " their faces as they age. (Keeps growing?) My question - WHEN should the nose work be done? My thought is AFTER - as it will provide the nose surgeon with the "current" face to work with. If so - how long after the face lift?

+1

Aesthetically speaking it can be done at the same time or a later time, whichever you choose.  I personally put a reasonable time limit to plastic and cosmetic surgery of 5-6 hours.  After that, I suggest the rest be done at a later time.  Our Face Lifts are minimally invasive ("Celebrity Face Lift") that are performed in 90 minutes with most Rhinoplasties taking an additional hour to hour and a half, so these two are well below that time threshold.  Hope this helps. 

Face lift and rhinoplasty at the same time?

+1

Yes, noses do get larger with age. 

Face lifts and rhinoplasties are often done together.

A good surgeon can visualize the desired outcome holistically.

But if you decide on two operations, wait at least six weeks after surgery and, ideally six months. Why?

• Most swelling is gone at six weeks.This ends the second stage of healing.
  • Most collagen remodeling is done at 6 months. This ends the final stage of healing.

At 6 weeks you can be 90% sure and at six months 100% that your surgeon is seeing your 'current' face during the rhinoplasty. Best wishes! 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Yes, It's Possible: Facelift and Rhinoplasty

+1

Great question. It’s possible to combine both procedures at the same time, but would require a qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon’s evaluation to review your individual facial anatomy and truly understand what changes you desire. Also, a frank conversation with your surgeon about recovery and downtime to determine if you want to do either Rhinoplasty or a facelift first would be wise.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Rhinoplasty and Facelift

+1

There are arguments to be made on both sides of that discussion either combining or separating a facelift and rhinoplasty. In reality, it is not necessary to look at the 'new' face afterward to figure out how to change the nose via rhinoplasty surgery. Therefore, I have found it best to combine the procedures for the benefits of one single surgery and recovery and less costs. Combining the two does result is some increase in facial swelling after surgery but that will go away quickly after surgery and is not enough of a negative to separate a rhinoplasty from a facelift.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Facelift +/- Rhinoplasty

+1

The facelift procedure and the rhinoplasty procedure can certainly be done simultaneously.  However, if you go that route your surgeon must take into account your overall health.  The two procedures combined could take 5-7 hours under general anesthesia, so please consider that.  The advantages of doing both at the same time are:

• less anesthesia cost
  • overlap the "downtime" of each procedure
  • Less total visits to the doctor after the surgery

If you were to do them individually, you could go either way.  It is true that having your facelift first will allow the surgeon to assess overall facial harmony, but this is not typically changed to any great extent following a facelift.  It would be more important if you were getting a chin implant or cheek implants, for example.  

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and facelift

+1

A rhinoplasty and a facelift can be done at the same time in some individuals. It really depends upon how long the surgeries are expected to be.  If concerned, it can be staged.

Facelift with rhinoplasty

+1

That depends on what you have down and who your surgeon is. There is not just one type of facelift or rhinoplasty. Different people require different things. More extensive facelifts or rhinoplasties should be done alone to get the best result.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Combining a facelift and rhinoplasty

+1

Combining a facelift and rhinoplasty is feasible and something I have performed in the past multiple times.  However, it is possible to separate these procedures and it truly does not matter which one comes first.  I would recommend you address the aspect of your face that bothers you most (nose or jowls/neck) first.  Either way, these are both procedures that will provide you with great satisfaction and enjoyment.  I have attached a video of a patient whom I performed both a facelift and rhinoplasty at the same time.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Rhinoplasty done in Conjunction

+1

Dear Lisa,

Combining a facelift with a rhinoplasty is commonly done and I do these procedures in conjunction quite often. When patients combine both surgeries they allow for one recovery process and save procedural fees due to anesthesia and operating room costs combined. The surgeon allows for all of the facial aesthetics to be combined for a natural youthful appearance which does not differ from a BEFORE or AFTER facelift. Best regards and better off one surgery, one recovery, before the new youthful you! 

Michael Elam, MD

Facelift and rhinoplasty together.

+1

I do these surgeries together since the nose adds only an hour and the patient has only one recovery.  I also do multiple procedures at a reduced cost.