Can I Have a Facelift After Having Mvs Surgery for Hemi Facial Spasms?

I have hemi facial spasms. I would like to have the mvd surgery. Will I be able to have a facelift after or should I have the lift first. Thank You.

Facelift Before or After Surgery for Hemi Facial Spasms

+1

In general, it is better to have the decompression surgery before having the facial cosmetic surgery.

Face Lift

+1

You will need to have a conference with all surgeons involved and let them develop a plan for you and follow their advice carefully.  They will have a plan taking into account all the variables needed for optimal healing and recovery.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Decompression Surgery

+1

This decompression surgery is done through very different surgical approaches, and one procedure should not theoretically interfere with the other’s.  However, I would discuss with your neurosurgeon how long it will take to fully recover and be free of pain to allow you to have the smoothest facelift recovery course.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decompression for Hemi Facial Spasms is better before facelift

+1

Decompression for Hemi Facial Spasms is better before facelift. In my opinion, the hemi facial spasms could have an effect on your healing. With these episodes, I wondering if your face lift results could affect the sutures that are holding your lift. Also the hemi facial spasms are more of a medical indication and would take precedence of cosmetic concerns like a face lift. I would wait 6-12 month after the decompression before considering the facelift

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes you can have a face lift !

+1

Microvascular decompression should be done first, we as surgeons would not like to create difficult surgical planes from our normal healing. Your MVD surgeon should be afforded their best opportunity to solve your hemi facial spasms. Please wait 6 -12 months minimum prior to facelift. Good luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

MVD and Face Lift

+1

Microvascular decompression for hemi facial spasms is carried out at the brainstem where the facial nerve is compressed by cerebellar arteries.  This should have no effect on a Face Lift and which one you want to do first is up to you, really.  IMHO, ask your neurosurgeon if he thinks it's better for you to have the Face Lift before (and how far before) or after (again how long after) the MVD procedure. 

If this helps, if you were my patient I'd prefer that you had the MVD procedure and were healed and everything stable from that surgery (probably 6-12 months) before I'd agree to perform your Face Lift.  Somehow, that just seems the most logical approach.

Mvs surgery

+1

I have no idea what MVD or MVS surgery is. Have you been treated with botulinum toxin to alleviate the spasms. If not you might discuss with your neurologist before doing any surgery. as far as a facelift is concerned, there are procedures done for facial symmetry but any cosmetic procedure takes a back seat to the medical management of the spams first. makes sense right? good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after other surgery

+1

Whether a Facelift can be done after other facial surgery or not depends on the specific other surgery. Usually it is quite possible with minor modifications of technique. In the case of mvd surgery for hemifacial spasm, the modification of technique would be to use the post-auricular incision as the posterior aspect of any post-auricular Facelift incision. Occasionally, in younger individuals and those without significant laxity of the neck, a short scar preauricular technique (such as the MACS Lift) can be used which does not even involve a post-auricular component, or, at most, a minimal one that would not disturb the mvd incision. Go for a consult with a Plastic Surgeon with significant experience in facial rejuvenation.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon