Facelift After Eyelid Surgery?

I'm thinking of having an upper and lower eyelid surgery first by an eye specialist and then have a separate facelift later. How long should I wait after the eyelid surgery to schedule the facelift?

Wait one month before proceeding with facelift

+1

The time allotted between the eyelid surgery and facelift should be approximately one month so as to ensure good healing. It is important not to be taking any aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, or herbal supplements prior to both surgeries to keep bruising and swelling to a minimum.

Eyelid surgery and Facelift Surgery

+1

I believe that you will obtain a much more coherent appearance if you have both procedures together. You can definitely find a surgeon who is expert in both. Take your time to find a qualified surgeon with the experience necessary to perform your surgeries. There is little benefit to staging them . Thank you.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

This is not a good plan.

+1

Hi!

I am sorry I did not see your question before, but I feel strongly about this.

The different parts of your face (brows, lids, cheeks, mouth, jowls, neck) age together and in relation to each other. How one part ages affects the parts next to it. The lower eyelid can look hollow, and it is because the cheek next to it has sagged and exposed the bone, for example.

So the surgical plan and the surgery itself need to be INTEGRATED to make your whole face look fresher and younger. How the face is treated very much affects what needs to be done to the eyelids, and vice versa. Everything needs to look like it belongs together, and believe me, this does not happen automatically.

Also, you are assuming that an oculoplastic surgeon will do a better job with your eyelids. In my rather long experience, I can tell you that it isn't so. It's all about the planning and the good eye and the technique and the meticulousness of the individual surgeon.

So what I recommend is that you find a plastic surgeon expert on the aging face (not hard in LA) and let her or him do everything. My web site has a link to the Amercan Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, where you can get names.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wait about 1 month

+1

I would agree that if you have two surgeons that can communicate and work at the same facility, them attempt to coordinated both procedures on the same date.

If this is not possible then I typically have recommended deferring the facelift for approximately 1 month.

Not necessary to stage these, but if you do, about 3 weeks would work

+1

Most patients who need a facelift and eyelid surgery will find the right plastic surgeon who can do both for them in one setting with one recovery. That would be the best plan for sure but if you really believe that an ophthalmologist would be better for your eyes, then waiting about 3 weeks between procedures would be reasonable. The last plan would be to find 2 doctors who could coordinate this and work together. This might be a bit of a challenge for many reasons.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

They can be done together.

+1

The two operations can be done the same day by the same surgeon or two different surgeons. In our facility we offer both. Unless you have some special ocular problem, you will get the same result either way.

No reason to wait

+1

There really is no reason to wait. In most cases, I do both the eyes and the facelift in the same operation. The advantage is one recovery. If you choose to spread the procedures apart, then waiting several weeks may be the best option. This will allow the tissues to settle and the majority of the swelling to resolve before the next surgery. Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Do facelift and eyelid surgery at the same time

+1

Most excellent facelift surgeons are also excellent eyelid surgeons. The benefit of having both done at the same time is one anesthesia and one operation with one recovery. If you decide to have 2 different operations my personal opinion is that you should wait three months for recovery between cases.

You can see the results of a combined facelift and blepharoplasty in the photos below. Recovery time was 2 weeks for both together.

See before after photos of facelift and eyelid surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Eyelid surgery timing and facelift

+1

You can have them done at the same time if you prefer one to perform the eye surgery and the other to perform the facelift.  Or you can have one surgeon do both of the procedures.  If you have to space them apart, I would wait a few weeks until the eye swelling goes down.

A few weeks?, if you ask both surgeons to coordinate in advance.

+1

As surgeons commenting on generalities, we can only say:

1. Discuss with both surgeons, and let them decide, based on their planned techniques.

2. A few weeks would proably be the minimum for average procedures, but your surgeons may not be planning average procedures.

3. It seems unnecessarily complicated to do separate operations by different doctors. Perhaps you would be best to allow two surgeons to work the same day or pick a single plastic surgeon who you feel is experienced and skillful at both procedures.

Best of luck.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon