Facelift Without Drains - Swollen Head and Ears 1 Month Post-op

It has been a month --I am still very swollen. I went to the beach at a place that has the rooms on site to recover...Well, I sure didn't get that positive, spa like, nurturing experience...They didn't go over anything with me about post operative care or the meds I was currently taking, but they did ask about allergic or past complications......My "nurse" was actually a sitter and she didn't take my temp or B/P when I asked her too. I was in shock. My sitter told me the Intern did my surgery.

Facelift Post Op

+2

Every surgeon will have their own preference on when or if to use drains. One month post-operative is not long enough to see a 'final" result. Please consult with your Surgeon if you have specific concerns.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after facelift

+2

It is normal to have swelling after facelift surgery, regardless of drains used or not. I almost never use drains for facelift surgery. I tell patients it takes about 6 weeks for things to settle down where you start to look like yourself and feel more natural. Scarring and underlying scar tissue with tightness and residual swelling can take much longer than that. Be patient. 

Hayley Brown, MD

Swelling at one month

+1

One month post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Facelift recovery

+1

It is normal to still have some swelling at one month after a facelift.  Maybe some of what is causing the concern is that you didn't get the nurturing care you expected and this is affecting how you view the overall experience.  Make sure the doctor knows about the place you went and ask directly about who did the surgery. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Swelling after surgery

+1

At one month it is fairly normal to have swelling of the face that is still present. You have to give it time to heal.

Surgical vacations?

+1

Was your surgery in the United States? Taking a surgical vacation seems like a great idea but quality of care can be very spotty outside the United States. You should probably see someone in your area to make sure that everything is okay. Generally it is an excellent idea to try and review or investigate any surgeon that you are going to see at a long distance because of these issues. Sometimes a surgery combined with a dream vacation can just turn into a nightmare!

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Facelift surgery without drain and general anesthesia

+1

It is common not to use drain or general anesthsia for facelift surgery. I have performed over 2000 facelifts and I may have used drains less than one percent of times. Majority of cases these cases were men. Meticulous hemostasis and use of PRP reduces chances of drain requirements. Regarding your facial swelling, you should expect slight amount of swelling and numbness around your ears and face. These will subside in about 6-8 weeks. Talk to your doctor who performed your surgery. It is unlikely that an intern can perform a face lift surgery.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Facelift Without Drains

+1

I rarely use drains after a facelift.  Meticulous hemostasis and the use of tissue agents minimize fluid accumulation. Swelling one month after surgery is possible. Ask your surgeon - if you've lost confidence in him/her get another opinion.

Swelling after a Face Lift

+1

I never use drains for a facelift procedure, but some surgeons do and that probably makes no difference in the length of time you have swelling.  You should expect some swelling for 4-6 weeks.  Every patient is different, so don't be too worried.  Talk to your doctor for any specific soncerns.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prolonged Swelling after Facelift

+1

It is difficult to say what the issue is concerning your swelling.  It is usual to have significant swelling one month after the surgery.  I believe drains are helpful after surgery.  Some other surgeons do not use drains.  I would ask the surgeon at your follow-up what is his/her opinion about your swelling.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS