Having Some Face Work Done. Is This Dr Qualified Enough to Feel Safe in His Hands?

I am going to have a nose job/lower face mini tuck/chin implant with some lipo under the chin. The doctor I like doesn't have extensive Plastic Surgery credentials . He is Board certified with the american board of oral and maxillofacial surgery. He is an Associate with the american academy of cosmetic surgery. He is a fellow with the american association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons. He is a fellow with the int'l assoc. of oral & maxillofacial surgeons. He is listed as an MD and DDS

Surgeon's Qualifications and Experience

+3

It is always best to get different opinions in your area, particularly when you are raising this question. If you have any uncertainty about any surgeon's training, experience, or personality, get other consultations. That process will help answer the question for you. While it does take extra time and expense, I suspect your face may be worth the additional research.

Experience is Key

+2

Experience is key in Plastic Surgery. I have had many surgeons visit my office to view surgical procedures with multitudes of training levels and different board certifications. One common factor is experience or lack of. Some surgeons may have many credentials and limited experience in certain procedures of Facial Plastic Surgery as is true with all specialities. I think the most important factor  as discussed below by some  fellow surgeons is to see patients that are having and have had the same procedures. Any busy surgeon will have follow up appointments during the week with many different surgeries coming through the door in different phases of recovery. Most patients are always happy to discuss their experience with consulting patients. Also look through the before and after photographs and discuss with the surgeon his expertise in your area of concern. Whenever a doubt a second opinion will help you decide. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Qualifications of a Surgeon for Rhinoplasty and Facelift

+2

Experience is even more important than training. Look at your surgeon's results in patients like yourself. It is also helpful to see other patients that he has done.  Opinions from other surgeons may be helpful. You are smart to continue asking questions until you're satisfied.

+2

Obviously, your potential surgeon has alot of training. Have you reviewed pre- and post-operative photos of this surgeon's patients? How many of these procedures does the surgeon typically perform? If you have any concerns about the results or your surgeon's qualifications you should meet with another board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon for an additional consult. It is more and more uncommon for patients to seek advice from just one surgeon. Finding a plastic surgeon that you're comfortable with is good for you and your surgeon. A doctor-patient relationship based on trust is invaluable. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon's Qualifications

+2

Dear Elizabeth,

As a triple board certified surgeon with extensive experience and based on your descriptions I find that the certifications/credentials are a great fit for a maxillofacial surgeon.

That being said, I cannot provide you with a detailed opinion over whether the surgeon you are mentioning is a good fit to perform your surgeries or not since there is not enough information about his/her plastic surgery credentials and certifications.

Please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

An Oral Surgeon is Not a Plastic Surgeon !

+2

Although it is possible that the Dental/Oral Surgeon you choose  might possibly be skilled there is no comparison with the training of a board certified Plastic Surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) or Facial Plastic Surgeon. 

The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only recognized Board Specialty for aesthetic (i.e. "plastic surgery" and "cosmetic surgery"). There are 23 boards that are recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties and the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery is NOT one of these. The American Society of Plastic Surgeon is launching a campaign to educate the public "Just because a doctor wears a white coat doesn't mean he is a plastic surgeon" . This statement is very appropriate in this "buyer beware" environment perspective patients have to negotiate to find someone well trained.
Here are some tips to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your facial aesthetic surgery:
• Verify Board Certification by American Board of Plastic Surgery (do this online)
• Member of American Society of Plastic Surgery (requirements beyond Board Certification)
• Member of American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (indicates extensive experience            in aesthetic surgery - see below link)
• Look at online review sites - like RealSelf, Health Grades,RateMDs, Google, etc
• Look at Before and After photos
• What is my instinct or "gut reaction" as to who I relate to better, answers my questions more fully   and who I basically trust the most.
• Finally ask yourself - if I was to have a complication, who would be the best to take care of me.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

What are the proper qualifications

+2

Board certification is viewed as the benchmark for appropriate training in a given field.  It signifies the completion of residency and passing of typically oral and written exams.  More important, is the surgeon board certified in the specialty in which he is practicing and the procedure in which you are interested?  I would carefully inquire as to experience and background of the physician before proceeding.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Face Work

+2

Qualified Facial Surgeons come from many different surgical backgrounds!  Generally, Board Certification is a starting point for all patients to consider.  In fact, all of the different surgical specialties seem to think that they are better qualified than the "other" specialty that competes with them.  Well, the truth is, you must examine the doctor's practice and the doctor's experience regarding the work that you need to have performed in order to really determine "qualification" and "proficiency."  Remember, just because a physician is "boarded" in a particular specialty (a starting point for doctors), this does not automatically grant the doctor with some sort of special qualities or outcomes.  Look at that physician's work and results and interests and practice and volume, etc.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Doctor qualifications

+2

Your doctor is an oral surgeon, by training.  He may have taken some additional courses re-garding plastic surgery, but I don't believe this qualifies him to call himself a plastic surgeon.  Having said that, he may have enough experience to do the surgery you describe adequately.  Get at least one more opinion from a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

+2

I guess the thing that comes to my mind when I hear questions like this would be would you trust a plastic surgeon to do your root canal? Even though he may have had some dental training during his career. I don't think I would. I have friends who are excellent oral surgeons and I would go to one of them for oral surgery. I think I would prefer a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery if I were having cosmetic surgery on my face. The Academy of Cosmetic Surgery is not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialities.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD