I Used a Face Wash the Day After my PCA Chemical Peel and Now I Have Enlarged Pores All over my Face. Did This Cause It?

What can I do to fix this problem?

Chemical Peel and Face Wash

+1

Thank you for your question. Washing your face after a peel would not cause the pores to suddenly enlarge.  Perhaps the peel cleaned out your pores, and you are seeing them for what they are, or they are just temporarily inflamed.  Have your board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in cosmetic procedures and chemical peels and evaluate your skin to determine the safest and most effective options for your skin type.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Enlarged pores after chemical peel

+1

Dear Patient,

In general, chemical peels do lead to skin shedding, which helps to exfoliate and cleanse out the pores. This may lead to your pores initially looking bigger. After a couple of weeks, they will get back to normal. If you do a series of these peels (I am guessing TCA, since I am not familiar with PCA peels), you should eventually start seeing decrease in pore size due to regular cleansing of the pores and collagen production. Your use of the wash did not effect the treatments. However, I would recommend gentle wash, sunscreen, and moisturizer (e.g., cetaphil or cerave products) for a week after your peel, to diminish post-peel irritation. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist