Will my Face Look Odd if I Don't Have a Face Lift when I Have Under Eye Surgery

I am 56 years of age, I have fairly good skin but it is just starting to jowl a bit by my jaws. I am thinking of having upper and lower eye bag surgery as my top lid has some loose skin and the lower eye has bags and hollows. I think this is the main thing that makes me look old. I was concerned that if I have this operation done, would it make the rest of my face look odd? Would I need any other procedures at the same time?

For many patients the eyelids are the most obvious sign of aging and I suggest that they correct this before pursuing more major procedures like face lift. If you are seeing more age in your eyes than in the rest of your face then that would be a great place to start.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breaking up Face and Eyes. Two recoveries to be considered.

In years gone by, the older surgeons always did face and eyes separately.  Not any more.  With lower impact techniques and accelerated recovery, more and more people are opting to do the facelift WITH the eyes.  But you don't have to.  Do what you are comfortable with.  Just keep in mind:  Two surgeries equals two recoveries.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Facelift Results

It is important to address those areas which are of concern to you. Always question someone who is trying to talk you into something which does not bother you.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery should not create obvious dysharmony

If you only have very early jowling and you feel that your eyes are most aging feature you have, then you should not have any problem just getting you eyes done without a facelift.
With that said, I am all about facial harmony, and in patients that are considering facial rejuvenation, I usually discuss comprehensive rejuvenation with them. That is correcting ALL areas of the face that show signs of aging, as well as treating the skin with laser resurfacing if needed. This maintains facial harmony, in that all areas of the face go together. This leads to a very natural, very significant rejuvenation where the product is greater than the sum of the parts.
In the end, the decision is obviously yours, and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever decision you make.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial cosmetic surgery: getting your feet wet...step by step

Sometimes it is best to proceed in a stepwise fashion to test your appetite for cosmetic surgery if this is the first plastic surgery procedure that you have ever entertained.

Blepharoplasty is natural first part of total facial rejuvenation

I have  a number of patients that start with eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty).  I think this is a natural starting point, to focus around the eyes. I divide the face into thirds: upper (forehead), midface, and lower face/neck.  The eyelid procedures in conjunction with forehead rejuvenation such as botox or brow lift will rejuvenate the upper third.  The face and neck lift will do the rest, but that may come later.  I number of my patients do exactly what you're doing and it freshens the appearance and youthfulness around the eyes which makes a big difference.  These patients are very happy and excited and usually come back later for the face and neck lift.  I hope the helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Blepharoplasty Without Facelift

Your face will not look odd if you only have surgery to improve your upper and lower eyelids. It is often said that the eyes are the first part of the face we look at. Having said that, you would probably get a much better result if you had a facelift at the same time, since elevating the midface improves the periorbital (around the eyes) area as well. Of course, this is a choice you should make regarding your objectives and desires. You can always hace a facelift later. From El Paso.

Facelift with eyelid surgery

The decision to have periorbital surgery with a facelift is very individualized.

Statistically, patients notice periorbital aging before before they notice facial aging.  However there are patients whose neck and ja

You and your plastic surgeon can decide whether to do both procedures or just one.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Addressing the Eyelids is a wonderful way to restore your youthful appearance

The blepharoplasty procedure can be an extremely powerful tool for turning back the clock, my honest recommendation would be that you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and outline all of your areas of concern as well as your budget and let them help you tailor a treatment plan to your wants and needs.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Eyes and jowls at the same time

You can get your eye area and jowls corrected at the same time, giving you a dramatically refreshed appearance. Other areas that may look "odd" can then be corrected with fillers to replace volume loss and wrinkles.