18 year old African American female considering Rhinoplasty - Will It Be Worth It For Me?

My nose looks HUGE from the front. I am an 18 year old African American female (as you can tell from the picture below) and I feel like my nose looks large compared to the rest of my smaller more delicate features. I've felt this way since middle school and I am a freshman in College now. I'm thinking of getting rhinoplasty this summer, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't want the results to be so subtle but I don't want strangers to know I've had surgery.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on the photo and your stated concern, you may be a candidate for the ethnic rhinoplasty. Consult with 2 -3 surgeons in order to understand the best recommendation for you and the best surgeon to achieve what you are seeking.

Reducing overall dimension of African American Nose

+1

Reducing the size of the nose to match your other facial features makes perfect sense. Although photos can be less accurate than hoped for I would say that a procedure to refine the tip of the nose, reduce the flare of the nostrils and narrow the upper, bony portion of the nose would likely be indicated to achieve your goals. However, there is no substitute for a one on one consultation with a nasal surgeon versed in the subtleties of ethnic rhinoplasty.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

African American rhinoplasty

+1

With regards to the African American rhinoplasty, certainly the largest area of improvement is usually the nostril base. The weir excision of 4-5 mm of skin can be performed at the base of the nostrils in order to narrow the nostril base. Tip cartilage work to narrow the tip and lower osteotomies to narrow the lower portion of the nasal bridge can also be done. Occasionally small wedges of cartilage grafts are inserted into the bridge to give dorsal height, which gives the elusion of having a more narrow bridge.  

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

When performed properly by a highly skilled ethnic rhinoplasty specialist, an ethnic rhinoplasty may yield excellent results. It is possible to perform the surgery subtly, where a difference will be made, but will not be obvious to another individual. The goal is to improve the nose and enhance your own natural features, while retaining a natural appearance.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from NY,
I reviewed your nasal picture. Since you’re not happy with the shape of your nose, I would recommend an ethnic rhinoplasty for you. It would create a beautiful and natural nose for you. During consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist, be sure to ask if he/she is comfortable with ethnic rhinoplasty. Good Luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

Simulate your own Surgery: CLICK LINK BELOW

+1

No one can answer this question but you. Try the program below and upload your photo. Post it to friends on facebook or try it out just for the fun of it and bring it in to your surgeon!

Ethnic Nose Surgery

+1

Regarding: "Considering Rhinoplasty - Will It Be Worth It For Me?  My nose looks HUGE from the front. I am an 18 year old African American female (as you can tell from the picture below) and I feel like my nose looks large compared to the rest of my smaller more delicate features. I've felt this way since middle school and I am a freshman in College now. I'm thinking of getting rhinoplasty this summer, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't want the results to be so subtle but I don't want strangers to know I've had surgery."

For the result you seek you need to see a surgeon who performs ethnic rhinoplasty surgery. Your nose would need to be narrowed dorsum augmented with either cartilage or rib graft and your tip refined and have grafts added. The nose CAN be made narrower and more feminine but it is a different operation than that done in Western noses.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Considering Rhinoplasty

+1

I thank you for trying to post a photo. And it helps in the answer of your question. Yes a ethnic rhinoplasty will help correct your issues. Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Wide noses can be made smaller using a number of rhinoplasty techniques

+1

Achieving an more delicate nose on an African American female can be achieved by using a number of special maneuvers. These are different than those used for Caucasian noses that have thinner skin and stronger cartilages. I suggest you see a rhinoplasty specialist to discuss your goals in person.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty will help

+1

The picture that you attached is taken from the top and  exaggerates the width of your nose. You will need a consultation and computer imaging would help.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon