Face/Neck Lift and Fat Transfer to Eye/Nose/Lip Area

5 Days ago I  had Face/Neck Lift and Fat Transfer to eye/nose/lip area. I am very swollen and Double Chin is still there and sides of my face are numb and swollen. One eye  has 2 lumps and is darker than the other. Is this normal after surgery? I look worse than before surgery. What can I expect in the next 5 days? I do have to return to work - right now it seems I will not be able to. This is depressing me. Please reply

Healing after surgery

+1

I think that you’re being too critical too soon.  Noticeable  swelling, “lumpiness” and numbness may persist for some time, and I would suspect that your surgeon has mentioned this to you.  I explain to my patients that they may experience all of this for approximately 6 months, although with most patients everything has fairly evened out within 6 weeks or so. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facelift, Fat transfer healing process

+1

Without pictures it is difficult to determine if you are healing normally. Five days is very early in the healing process and everything that you are describing sounds like a normal part of the healing process. It can take several months to a year for all of the swelling to resolve. Make sure that you are compliant with your surgeon's post-op care instructions and follow up appointments to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

5 days is very early after a face lift

+1

You are only 5 days out from your surgery- it is still very early to assess your outcome.  The numbness is always there at this point and will take weeks to improve.  Swelling is very normal as well, and symmetry is not to be expected while swelling is so acute- no two sides ever heal at exactly the same rate.  Continue your followup with your surgeon and try and be patient!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 5 Days After Facelift

+1

You are still early into the healing process. It certainly would be unusual to look good that early on.

In fact, if you would look great 5 days after facelift, you certainly would be disappointed after 1 year.

Keep in close contact with your facial surgeon to ensure that your progress is normal from his/her point of view.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your recovery signs and symptoms seem to be appropriate for your surgical procedures.  They should resolve in a few more weeks.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Normal Course

+1

Your early healing sounds like it is appropriate.  The operated areas will continue to improve over several weeks.  You should be able to return to work 7-10 days after the operation.  You can apply makeup to help hide some mild bruising.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Swelling After Surgery

+1

What you have described with regards to numbness and swelling, is not that unusual after surgery.  Most patients take 1 to 2 weeks off from work.  The depression issue is also very common for a few days after surgery, but that soon will pass.  Each day, you will see improvement.  It is very important to follow up with your surgeon, and do exactly as he says.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling after Surgery

+1

Mild swelling and numbness are normal. Swelling is usually prominant in the fat grafted areas, esp lips.

If there is significant swelling (looks like an egg inder the skin) see your doctor to be sure there is no bleeding.

I tell all my patients that they need AT LEAST one week off work and that they will still be swollen and possibly bruised for two weeks and should adjust schedules accordingly.

Martin Moskovitz, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling, Bruising and Lumps shortly after Facelift Surgery

+1

All  of the things you have described, particularly the numbness and swelling are the typical course after facelift surgery. Usually by the end of the first week you will start to see a gradual but real improvement every day in your results. So don't be depressed- from your description, you aren't necessarily experiencing anything unusual.

Best of luck to you.

David Cangello, MD

FaceLift and Fat Grafting

+1

Two chins and a few lumps with a lot of swelling may very well heal with a very nice result.  Swelling and bruising is near maximal at day 5.  Fat grafting adds to the level of swelling.  Swelling in the neck is always worse than everywhere else due to gravity among other things.  Take heart that in another week you should look markedly better.