Should I Wait to Get a Face Lift if I Plan to Lose Additional Weight?

I have lost almost 50lb this year and would like to lose 30 more. Should I wait until I am at my ideal weight before I explore facial cosmetic surgery such as a mini-lift or Lifestyle lift. I am a 57 yo female. Thanks

Excess skin after weight loss

+1

As long as you are not morbidly obese your exact weight is not as important as whether or not it has been stable for some months prior to surgery. If you are in the middle of losing weight and continue to do so after your cosmetic procedure there is a greater chance you will need a revision surgery when the weight loss is completed. It is much easier for the surgeon to plan surgery when the weight has been stable for more than 3 months prior to surgery. It makes no sense to me to postpone surgery if you are 10 or 15 pounds above ideal body weight but the weight has been stable for years.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Weight and facelifting

+1

It would be best to lose at least another 20 so you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight.  Then explore the surgical options but in my opinion, no mimi or LS lift compares to a properly done real lift.  Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

You should be at your ideal weight.

+1

You should be at your ideal weight before most procedures.  The reason is when you lose additional weight, the shape of your face may change resulting in the need for revisional surgery.  You will achieve the best results if you are at the weight you would like to stay at for at least 6 months.