Face Lift & Chin Implant - 8 Weeks Post-op, Keloids & Complications (photos)

Had face lift & chin implant 8 weeks ago, had some compactions (implant needed to be repositioned, developed chin infection after that, have mucoceles inside lips & have numbness of lower left jaw & lip) was recently told by an asthetician that I look like I was butchered. I still have some pain and developed keloids. My surgeon is a dual board certified facial plastic surgeon with a clear record. Am I just unlucky or a victim of a bad surgeon? Should go back to fix ear & kelois?

Facelift Keloids or Hypertrophic Scars Best Treated With IPL and 1540 Laser

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. Your scars are red and raised but I would call them hypertrophic scars not keloids. These scars are common behind the ear because of the high tension placed on the scars in this area. The chin area has puckering and folds of skin.

The red raised scars can usually be successfully treated by using a combination of IPL or Intense Pulsed Light treatments to reduce redness and irritability, and the 1540 fractional erbium non-ablative laser to flatten and remodel the scars into smaller white lines. (Check link below)

The folds around the chin incision will respond to massage and the 1540 laser treatments can also help flatten and improve this area.

Be sure to check with your Dr. for his or her recommendations regarding these treatments.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/scar-removal/new-laser-scar-removal-treatment-with-starlux-1540-non-ablative-fractional-laser/

8 Weeks after Facelift and Chin Implant

+1

Chin implants can get infected, and this is setting you back in the recovery process.  You have a great deal of induration at the chin scar.  This will improve. Give it time.  The other scars will improve over the course of a year, and there are no keloid scars present.

Facelift keloid and scar thickening

+1

Keloids are less likely to occur after a facelift 8 weeks after on a lighter skinned patient.  More than likely your scars either represent hypertrophic scars or thicker scar formation.  In some cases, scars can respond well to scar massage to help break up collagen formation. Silicone sheeting and gel can also be helpful.  Kenalog and other injectables are usually quite effective in improving scar appearance.  

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloids after facelift

+1
  • Some people are just prone to develop keloids. Topical scar gels, cortisone injections, etc will help. Malposition of implant can happen to the best surgeons. It looks like you are on the mend and your surgeon is on top of things. Be patient it takes several months for healing.
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

What To Do About Scars After a Facelift? Take a Deep Breath and Relax, Things Will Get Better

+1

Sometimes, no matter how careful we are with our approach and technique, scars after a facelift and a chin implant simply don't turn out as well as we had hoped. While your scars don't look quite as good as an average patient's scars at this point, they really do appear to be healing well and will continue to improve over time. The problems you had with the chin implant are uncommon, but do happen. It sounds like your surgeon has taken care of these issues correctly. When everything goes well with the surgery and healing, we tend not to think about why we chose our surgeon in the first place. When things are more difficult after surgery than we expected them to be, it is important to remember why you chose your surgeon. You obviously felt comfortable enough to choose him or her to get you through the process with the best result possible and it sounds like he or she is doing that now. Surgery like this goes well most of the time, but not always. The comment by your aesthetician shows his or her ignorance (or best case- they are just very naive) about this very basic rule of surgery. The key is that your surgeon is helping you through the process. Hang in there. Things will get better.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early difficulties healing can still end with a great result

+1

While 8 weeks seems like a long time, it takes months to heal fully from surgery.  Your final result depends on the surgery and your "after care".  Even the best surgeons have infections and implants that "move".  If your surgeon is taking good care of you - and it sounds like he is - your end result should be fine.  Don't be disheartened by a stray comment from an aesthetician.  It really is unfair to make judgements at the midpoint of healing.  From the photos, I suspect you will be fine.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift issues

+1

Its  unfortunate when nonproductive comments are made from paramedical specialists such as estheticians . Thank you for providing photos, it really helps your team here at RealSelf to assist you. I agree that you are far from "butchered"!! You peak irritation and redness is still a month away. I tell all my face lift patients  they will really look at their best at 6 months. Get your surgeon engaged in managing these issues WITH YOU! You. Will be fine

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after Facelift Surgery

+1

Your incision lines are a bit thickened and I would expect significant improvement over the next 3 months. The same applies to the scar behind your right ear.

The chin scar will not heal as well as it would have without the revision surgery and infection. Complications and healing issues, although rare, can happen and are not a sign for "butchery". You trusted your face to your plastic surgeon in the first place; therefore I would encourage you not to change path while you really need close follow up and care.

Web reference: http://www.drfechner.com/worcester-chin-augmentation.htm

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift complications

+1

It's unfortunate that you had some post-operative complications. Unfortunately, infection is one of the known complications of the procedure. The incisions under your chin and behind the ear look more like hypertrophic scars rather than keloids. The fact that you had an infection will delay the healing process but I would be optimistic that you will have a good long term result. I would continue to follow up with your surgeon and be compliant with his instructions and my guess is that you will ultimately be happy with your results.

Post Operative Complications After Facial Surgery

+1

Thank you for the photos. Looking at your pictures it appears that the facelift incisions are healing well. They are appear a bit thick, but you are only 8 weeks post-op. Your chin implant incision appears the most inflamed of all of your incisions because of the infection. This will increase the amount of inflammation as well as prolong the duration of the inflammation at the surgical site. These incisions should continue to improve with time. While we typically tell our patients that they will be healed in 3 to 6 months, full healing takes 12 to 18 months. Yet if the scars have not made any significant improvement by 6 months then you can entertain revision.

These results can happen to anyone and do not indicate that your surgeon was sub-par. At this juncture I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your surgeon and make sure that you voice your concerns. I hope this helps.

Good luck.