Can I Have a Face-lift Without Having my Neck Lifted?

I want to have a face-lift due to having sagging in the cheeks and lower eye area (mid-face). My neck is still ok so I do not want a neck-lift. Can a surgeon give me a face-lift without giving me a neck-lift?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Face lift surgery without neck incision

+1

Hi England7699,

The appearance of the neck is a combination of skin, muscle, fat, and bone primarily. Each patient has unique anatomic variations. Younger patients primarily have a excess neck fat or inadequate bone, which contribute to a soft, underdeveloped neck. Older patients more commonly have excess, sagging neck skin and muscle.

Potential options to improve the neck & jaw line without an incision or surgery including Botox Cosmetic or neck liposuction. Some patients may benefit from a lower face lift with an incision around the ears, but without an incision under the chin.

Incisions under the chin are very well tolerated by patients. It's hidden from view and blends with the natural crease. Incision in this area may be required as part of a lower face lift or neck lift, or chin augmentation with implant. Incisions are very small, typically less than a couple centimeters.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a plastic surgeon specialist can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/face-lift.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift for above the jawline

+1

What you are describing is really what a mini face lift does.  The incisions are less and don't need to go all the way behind the ear

Facelift without a neck lift

+1

Certainly, you can have your face lifted without having a neck lift.  This option is popular in younger patients who do not have much problems in the neck.  The key is to find a surgeon who will listen to your concerns and will customize the procedure to address these concerns.

Web reference: http://kassmd.com

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lifting the cheeks without lifting the neck

+1

all facial procedures can certainly be customized to the patient's individual needs. If in your case there is nothing to be done on your neck, then a cheek lift or a facelift with shorter scars can be done to reposition the cheek pad and drape the skin in the appropriate way.

Facelift without Necklift?

+1

During consultation with your surgeon, a procedure should be tailored to suit your needs and preferences. If you prefer not to have your neck treated, your preferences could certainly be accommodated. Regarding terminiology, a traditional facelift is performed to improve the appearance of the lower face and neck and will not address the upper cheeks, lower eye area and midface that you mention. A midface lift can effectively addresses those areas. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.pearsonmd.com/facelift-surgery.htm

Can I have a faceLift without a Neck Lift

+1

I have performed Face Lifts for over 20 years and of course, the upper face can be lifted without a Neck Lift.  This is often performed and I call this procedure a minimal incision face lift.  The incisions, dissection, bruising, swelling and recovery time is all much less than traditional face lifts.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Targeting a facelift to your area of concern

+1

Confusion exists regarding what exactly does a facelift address.  A procedure is designed to address the patient's area of concern.  The areas treated can be :  brow, face , neck or any combination.  I refer to a facelift as a surgical technique which adresses the cheeks, nasolabial folds, jowls,and jawline.  This is sometimes referred to as a "minilift" or "short scar lift".  If you are a proper candidate you certainly can have a procedure targeted to your face only. Best wishes.

Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Facelift

+1

You can have a facelift that addresses the cheeks and the jowels, without treating the neck. This is often called a mini-facelift.  The difference between a facelift and a mini facelift is that the neck is not treated in the mini-lift. This limits the recovery time and leads to a speedier recovery. 

Web reference: http://www.drsteiger.com/procedures/facelift/index.html

Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Harmony

+1

It is possible to address the cheeks and jowls in a short scar facelift.   If it is not necessary to address your neck also, this procedure will have much less downtime than the traditional facelift.  

I ask that you undergo evaluation by 3 board certified plastic surgeons to help you make the most educated and well informed decision on the correct surgical option.  Just like a team, you are only as good as your weakest link.   In similar fashion, rejuvenation of the midface without addressing a neck when necessary, can lead to an unnatural result drawing attention to an aged neckline.

I wish you a safe and happy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Facelift without Necklift

+1

Absolutely, it is possible to lift the jowls and lower cheeks without particular attention to the neck. The power of the facelift lies in the experienced surgeon's ability to tailor the procedure to your particular anatomy and needs.

Most likely, you will also enjoy a shorter incision behind the ears.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.