Is a Lower Face Lift the Only Way to Take Care of Sagging Skin Under the Chin and Jaw?

Hello, I'm a female in my 20's but the skin under my chin and jaw sags. I was wondering if a lower face lift is the only way to correct this? I was thinking about getting fat liposuctioned because I thought that would decrease double chin and tighten the skin but then I heard this can cause the skin to sag even more. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time :-)

Fat and Skin under the neck

+2

The treatment of neck fat and excess skin will depend on several factors;

1- skin elasticity - if skin elasticity is good- then liposuction may be all that is needed.

2- Platysmal bands - if the bands are evident - not likely in a 20 year old- then tightening of the muscles is necessary.

3- Pre- and sub-platysmal fat. the fat between the skin and platysma can be liposuctioned, but the fat between the platysma and the deeper structures needs to be surgically removed.

My ideal algorithm is;

1- Liposuction for young healthy skin with sub cutaneous fat only.

2-Submental platysmaplasty/corset platysmaplasty for modest skin, fat above and below the muscle and platysmal bands.

3- Extended necklift (incision behind the ear and under the chin) for excess skin, fat and muscle tightening.

No need for a lower facelift if work is only being performed on the neck!

Sagging neckline in 20-30 year olds

+1

Most sagging in this age group is in the vast majority of cases not due to redundant or loose skin but rather from excess submental fat which often runs in families and sensitive to weight gain. Simple liposuction will take care of this. A board certified plastic surgeon can tell you if this is the case.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Loose skin under the jaw in a woman in her 20's

+1

Your question states you have loose skin under your jaw. This is relatively unlikely in your 20's - often loose muscle, excess fat, or other issues are the cause. In most people in their 20's, the jawline and neckline can be improved by reworking the fat (liposuction) or muscle (platysmaplasty) or both, with no "loose skin" cut out at all. A competent facial plastic surgeon can explain to you why a youtthful, tight neckline actually needs *more* (!) skin than a "loose" neckline.

In any case - there is hope! 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin under chin

+1

What you may perceive as loose skin might be excess fat under the chin. If that is the case, Vaser liposuction could help remove the excess fat and provide limited tightening to the skin.

A consultation with a plastic surgeon can help answer more questions for you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Skin in the 20's

+1

Generally speaking, Facelift is not indicated for someone in their 20's.  I suggest that you consult with a reputable Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin at 20....

+1

It is very rare to see someone at their 20's with a lot of sagging skin. Most of the times the fullness is caused by adipose (fat) tissue under the skin and the skin is able to retract and shrink after liposuction is done. To be sure if liposuction or a lift is indicated please seek the advise of your local facial plastic surgeon.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightening the skin in a 20 year old

+1

Loose skin is very unusual in a 20 year old and it is more likely that you are being excessive critical of yourself. There are no reliable and consistent methods to tighthen skin non-surgically. Radiofrequency or ultrasound or laser may provide minor and temporary tightening but I would not generally advise these interventions in an inidvidual of your age.

Sagging skin

+1

it is unusual for a 20 years old to have saggy skin, but it is possible.

You need to see a plastic surgeon have an examination and decide what it is that is bothering you. it could be fat and all you need is liposuction

Managing Early Lower Face and Neck Aging

+1

To be able to answer your question with the sincerity and specificity it deserves, I would need to personally examine you or as a fallback look at several photographs of your face. Left to guess what you may mean with "skin under my chin and jaw sags" and just how significant is would lead me to guess.

In general, liposuction removes fat and Facelift lifts. I do not mean to be flippant but when you read some of the questions and comments on this site this line of thinking is sometimes blurred. Depending on the extent of YOUR sagging, your overall upper facial sagging and your family history of aging you MAY do very well with a MACS Short Scar Facelift. Other options may be applicable but would critically depend on your examination.