Face Lift in Brazil

I wanted to do thread lift but as I read it's not the best idea. can any one can recommand a doctor in Brazil?

Thread Lift in Brazil? - Go for the Carnival NOT for the Surgery

+2

Thread lifts in general don't last and are a bad idea. In the future they will be seen as a passing fad. There are some great plastic surgeons in Brazil and also a lot of terrible ones that are not trained or board certified. How do you know which is which -Do you really want to fly to a foreign country and risk your face (potentially life long visible deformity) to save some money??That is the True Cost of Medical Tourism

Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices.- sometimes with reasonable results and sometimes with medical disasters. As a practicing Surgeon in Southern California - I am in the position to see many of these problems and try to reverse deformities that often can't be totally corrected

Interestingly, a parallel trend has also appeared: plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma.

Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit.

In addition to the risks posed by sub-standard medical care abroad, medical tourists must consider the risks of injections and implants in other countries. The recent crisis with French breast implant maker Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) exemplifies this problem. PIP used industrial- rather than medical-grade silicone on their implants in an effort to reduce costs, a measure which probably increased the danger of rupture. PIP implants have not been used in the United States since 2000. Removal of these implants has been recommended by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

It is often the case that medical tourists end up spending more money because they have to pay to treat complications from their overseas surgery.

Source: The Cost of Medical Tourism – Medscape Medical News
Source: Official Statement on Faulty PIP and ROFIL breast implants – ISAPS

Threadlifts

+2

Threadlifts are no longer being performed.  The FDA approved the us of threadlifts in 2005 and it has subsequently lost approval in May 2009.  The loss of FDA approval, high dissatisfaction rate, and overall poor outcomes with threadlifting  demonstrates it is not a procedure to use.  Any procedure which relies on a suture to lift the face rather than lifting and repositioning tissue will not be effective.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medical Tourism has Its Pros and Cons

+2

As other posters have eloquently stated, thread lifts now belong in the proverbial "garbage can" of cosmetic surgical gimmickry. 

Medical tourism is an interesting and appealing concept due to the cost savings offered in countries such as Mexico, Brazil, or the Philippines.  Certainly Brazil has many well trained and accomplished Surgeons. However, there is a reason an ethical Surgeon has a "complications discussion" with you prior to surgery: complications can and do happen in a small percentage of patients in any Surgeon's hands.  The problem is that if you develop a problem overseas, your ability to seek recourse is often minimal.  Secondly, your ability to have adequate follow up for major or minor concerns is compromised by distance. Thirdly, there can be a cultural difference between Surgeon and patient as to what is considered an "acceptable result" when overseas.  Lastly, we now live in an era of multiple drug resistant bacteria; not an issue anyone would want to deal with outside of the USA.  Accreditation in surgical facilities in the United States is rigorous; I cannot vouch for the standards maintained overseas.  I encourage patients to make a careful, considered decision in this regard.  I have seen some happy patients who have gone overseas and I have seen some utter disasters.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be careful about traveling for surgery

+2

Please be very careful about traveling to other countries for plastic surgery. I have several patients each month who end up in my office who have traveled to other countries to have plastic surgery. They then return to the US and have problems and end up in our offices wanting everything fixed. It would be best to find a local or regional surgeon to do your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

I'd reconsider the threads

+2

I recently had the opportunity to learn from and share experiences with many excellent Brazilian plastic surgeons at a conference organized by Dr. Renato Saltz. Many of these fine surgeons presented their work and you would do well to seek out their services.

As always, it is generally best to undergo your medical care in your local area, but travelling for your procedure can be done safely if you take some precautions, and are careful when making arrangements with your plastic surgeon.

However, beware of the threads!

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Important Considerations in Surgical Travel

+1

In Houston, Texas;  I frequently see patients for secondary procedures or complications associated with Surgical Tourism.   Many patients see the initial price of these procedures on the internet and see this to be a cheaper solution.   What is frequently not discussed are policies for complications.    Cosmetic surgery, as any other surgical procedure, carries a significant risk.   As opposed to insurance procedures, each cosmetic surgery carries a financial risk.   There is an anesthesia cost, surgery center cost, supply cost, and surgeon cost that recurs with every procedure.    If a patient looks for revision surgery or followup care in the united states after surgical travel, they frequently pay full cost for their followup visits and procedures.   If they stick with a surgeon in the states for their initial procedure, this is frequently decreased.  In addition, patients can run into problems finding surgeons to take over their care after complications from out of country procedures.    The benefit of having procedures performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in the United States are continuity of care and easy access for necessary correction procedures. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

Thread Lifts + International Surgery= Potential Problems

+1

Thread lift have fallen out of favor in the United States.  They have be found to create puckering and at times an unsightly result.  the removal of these sutures is difficult at best.  My advice is to find a board certified plastic surgeon in the U.S. to see if you are a good facelift candidate.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Threadlifts don't work

+1

By all means do not have a thread lift because of the very high rate of problems associated with that procedure.  I would also be very careful about traveling to Brazil to find a cheap Facelift.  I have seen many disasters come out of similar countries (as patients travel based on cheap prices) and the cost to fix them is extremely high. 

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Thread lifts just do not hold up over time

+1

A thread lift is not a facelift. Thread lifts just do not hold up over time, and it is best to undergo a full comprehensive, contemporary face/neck lift when needed.

Find a USA doctor

+1

Thread lifts are gone as they done give you enough lasting results for the money. If you live in the US you would do much better finding one of the many excellent doctors available to do your surgery. Not only is it safer for you, if you did happen to have any issues after surgery you would be close to the doctor who can take care of you. Nobody is going to want to fix a problem created by having gone to Brazil.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS