Face Lift and Still Looks the Same? (photo)

I had a face lift and face fat removable six months ago,three months out i look the very same.The Dr was not as happy with face but only say wait and take out more fat. Two years ago had a mini lift with fat in face that was over filled . The Dr. is more or less saying the fat is making my face fall or it stretched in three months and i am only six months out. I have everything showing in my face as before, fat under chin,fat spots, jowls. I do not smoke, eat right and 56 sending pic.any info?

No improvement after facelift

+3

Thank you for providing photos. I think that you concerns are related to two separate issues. There is the pre-jowl sulcus mentioned by my colleagues which could be improved with injectable filler, fat or certain types of chin implants. Also, what has been referred to as sagging skin under your jaw actually represents your submandibular glands. They are the symmetric swellings under the jawline. They tend to droop as we age. Some surgeons will try to resuspend these glands during facelift surgery or remove them but I would recommend against both of these options. This issue tends to be more common in thin patients like yourself because you have less subcutaneous fat to camouflage these glands. I would suggest giving yourself more time to heal and consider options to treat the pre-jowl sulcus if that is still objectionable for you at that time. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Still Looks the Same

+1

The ptotic glands can be suspended in a few more months if not improved.  The angle of the mandible can be improved with filler.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Empty prejowel sulcus

+1

It appears not that you have jowels but the area in front of the jowel is depressed and empty. Fat injecton into this area willl work wonders. I feel the swelling is down and further pull in this area wont help.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Facelift Results

+1

Thank you for including a photograph with your question.  It helps make a meaningful discussion about your concerns a little more attainable.  I agree that six months after surgery is a little soon to begin planning a revision.  Although most of the swelling is gone by six months the last place it fully resorbs from is the area under the chin.  Given that it is your second lifting procedure it may take a little longer for all of the swelling to go away.

That being said, I do agree that there is fullness in the area under your chin.  The two bulges on either side of your chin could potentially be your submandibular salivary glands.  Excising more skin or pulling things tighter would only serve to accentuate submandibular glands.  It is impossible to tell in a photograph, but feeling them should be able to discern excess skin or swelling from salivary glands.   

I would wait a little bit longer but if you are still unhappy it might be reasonable to get a couple opinions on what the next best step would be.  The surgeon who did the procedure should have the most knowledge about your neck but it doesn’t hurt to see what another provider would suggest.  

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift healing time

+1

Hi,

There may be some healing still left to go.  If after 9-12 months, the skin still sags a bit and that pre-jowl area (in front of the jowl) is still hollow compared to the rest of the cheek, then a little fat injection can take care of it.  It also depends on what kind of facelift you had.  If it was a mini lift or a short scar lift, then the jowl area may not fully be addressed.  It may not hurt to get a second opinion in a couple of months so someone can see you in person and answer all of your questions.

best,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Face lift questions

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. Your face does look thinner after surgery than before. The photos show you have pre jowl sulcus which has not changed much. There is also some skin laxity in submandibular area. 

You are only six months out and there is still a room for swelling to go down. As for the prejowel sulcus; this can be improved with fat injection or a filler such as juviderm. As for the neck skin; the treatment will depend on the cause. My advice for you is to wait for few more months and follow up with your plastic surgeon. He/she is the person who want you to have the best results.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD