Could My Facelift have Reactivated Possible Biofilm Infection or Granuloma From Previous Filler Reaction?

Could face lift / eye lift surgery increase your risk of reactivating a possible biofilm infection or foreign body granulomas/nodules caused by a severe adverse inflammatory reaction to dermal fillers?

Facelift have Reactivating Biofilm Infection or Granuloma

+2

It is certainly possible that the trauma and inflammation caused by the surgery could activate granuloma, nodules, and biofilm, especially with a semi-permanent or permanent filler such as Sculptra or ArteFill.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/liquid_face_lifts.php

Biofilms are reported in association with silicone oil injections.

+2

There are no reports that confirm biofilms in associating with non-permanent filler but this is certainly a possibility.  Could your facelift "reactivate a possible biofilm infection"?  Really this is such a theoretical question that a well meaning answer for you will be absolutely meaningless.  What are you experiencing?  Have you had this surgery?  Or are you posing a hypothetical type question.

Possible reactivation of a previous infection with a facelift

+2

It is possible that a facelift could reactivate a previous infection if the facelift is in the area of the previous infection.  It has been shown the ruptured appendix scars that are well healed and older than ten years can harbor previous bacteria.  I would think that the possibility of this happening  would be small.  You would have had to be infected with bacteria and not an allergic reaction.

Facelift Reactivation of Previous Infection

+1

If a facelift is performed and a previous area of sequestration is opened, an infection can arise.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Face-and-Neck-Lift.php

Could My Facelift have Reactivated Possible Biofilm Infection or Granuloma From Previous Filler Reaction

+1

If the recent surgical procedure was done in the same area, there is a possibility that the biofilm could become re-infected by bacteria, but the risk is low.

Biofilm reactivation after face lift

+1

Anything is possible. The increased inflammation from a face lift could lead to the reactivation of your biofilm. But any type of stimulation could as well. I would treat the condition and have your doctor take a look.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risks of Facelift Surgery

+1

This is a difficult question to answer without a little more history and information.  Most experts on this site have seen enough to know that virtually anything can happen in medicine.  Even if a risk is remote, it is still important to consider before proceeding with surgery.  That being said, I have not encountered anyone with a history of dermal fillers reactions that have adversely affected surgery. 

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Biofilm issue

+1

I suppose a facelift could potentially reactivate a biofilm reaction from previous injections, but there are no reports suggesting this.

Facelift Activating Biofilm Infection

+1

While theoretically anything is possible, but this is extremely unlikely; I've never seen such a scenario following a biofilm infection reported in the medical literature. Nor have I heard of a latent reaction following dermal fillers.

+1

It's always possible but quite honestly the risk of that is probably remote, IMHO.  Be sure that you select a plastic and cosmetic surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for your Face Lift to ensure the result is a more youthful and naturally attractive face...not one that's over pulled or wind swept.  Facial shaping and contouring (during any Face Lift) is key in creating a youthful, naturally attractive face but without understanding the proper aesthetics of facial beauty this is not possible IMO.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com