Tell Me What Face Lift Will Adhere the Underlying Muscle Without Being a Full Traditional Lift?

Is there a mid face lift, upper face lift, lower face lift? Ultherapy does not take care of muscle positioning--just the outer layers of the skin?

Questions About Facelift Techniques and Facial Rejuvenation

+2

There are many different techniques described and commonly used for facial rejuvenation.  The key to a good result is matching the right operation with the right patient.  There are no short cuts available and limited approaches to facial rejuvenation often yield limited results and a dissatisfied patient.  At the end of the day I want my patient to view their result and say I got what I thought I was going to get.  The next step for you is to be evaluated by an experienced plastic surgeon.  

Muscle tightening face neck lift

+2

Muscle tightening is an integral component of  modern facelifting techniques.  A comprehensive face/neck lift will address removal of fat in the neck, tightening the neck muscles in front of the neck and behind the ears and the SMAS  layer in the cheeks, and a conservative tuck of excess skin once the muscles have been tightened.  Please see the link below for examples  of facelifts in our photo gallery. 

+2

The semantics of facelift surgery can be very confusing. Some still talk about a full facelift including the lower face and neck, eyes and eyebrows. Most contemporary surgeons will describe the individual components that will be most helpful for you such as lower facelift or lower face/ necklift. Within the category of lower facelift there are many options but all durable, long-lasting facelifts share the fact that they resuspend the deep tissues of the face as opposed to just removing skin. This results in no tension on the skin, fine incisions and facelift results that last. You will not see the extent of durability of a facelift following Thermage. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lifting deeper layers of the face

+2

All contemporary facelift procedures whether they be mini, full, neck only or midface incorporate some form of deeper muscle layer (SMAS) tightening or lifting if performed by qualified surgeons. There is no technique practiced today by experienced, certified surgeons that involves "skin only" lifting, as that is an outdated method with consistently poor results.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lifting the Deeper Layers of the Face for Long-Lasting Results

+2

Thank you for the great question! First, you are correct: Ulthera works on the skin, but also seems to have some effects on the connective tissue below. However, this technology (and others, like Titan, Thermage, etc.) offer modest improvements. Second, to get repositioning of the deeper layers of the face requires a facelift.  In my practice, I perform a deep plane facelift. In this technique, the skin, connective tissues, and muscles are elevated together.  This provides a natural-appearing result, which is long-lasting. 

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you are seeking to have a significant resuspension of the SMAS or deeper tissues, this is most reliably accomplished with a SMAS facelift.  A short scar facelift can be performed to limit scarring.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

What facelift will address muscle?

+1

You are correct in that Ultherapy will not affect the muscle and will only address the skin.  The only way to address the deeper layers of the face is to do so surgically.  There are a variety of procedures, and variations of these procedures, that can be used to help rejuvenate the face.  Surgery is individualized for each patient to deal with the aging issues of the face.  A mid facelift deals mainly with the cheek area, a lower facelift deals mainly with the neck and lower part of the face and an upper facelift deals with the forehead.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Techniques

+1

Thank you for your question. The layers of muscles under the skin are addressed once the surgeon is inside and can evaluate what is there, and how best to internally contour the muscles.  The various names only serve to contribute create confusion.  One doctors mid is another full is another's mini, so find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you trust, and plan your objectives, and move forward. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

+1

The SMAS muscle layer should be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured for any type of Face Lift to be effective in my opinion.  I often use a minimal incision type Face Lift that does treat the SMAS muscle layer, as mentioned above, with limited tiissue dissection, much smaller incisions than traditional Face Lifts and a much quicker recovery and surgery time.

Adhering the muscle-SMAS layer in facelift surgery.

+1

Only sub-SMAS dissection and resuspension will result in lifting of the muscle-fascia layer and healing in the resuspended position.  This can either be accomplished using two separate layers of dissection (skin and SMAS) or as a single layer (composite deep plane).

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon