Did my Face Get Too Much Fat Transferred?

I had rhinoplasty(open,nasal bone was broken as well)& facial fat grafting 3 days ago. Rhinoplasty result seems fine,but my face is EXTREMELY SWOLLEN, so swollen that I havent been able to Google another case thus far with so much swelling/edema after facial fat grafting. My doc says-this is just edema & will subside-he says rhinoplasty+fat grafting together is traumatic for the facial tissues hence the abnormal swelling. I feel he went overboard with filling fat in my face. Whats your guess?

Fat Injections to Face don't last

+3

I am not conviced that any of injected fat survives after fat injections regardless of where it is injected.  I have even stopped offering fat injections in my practice because of disappointing results.  it will go away.  So you can stop worrying about overinjection completely.   

Rhinoplasty and Fat grafting

+3

It's hard to assess your case without knowing how much fat was placed, but your surgeon is right to say that concurrent rhinoplasty and fat transfer will cause more swelling than fat transfer alone. The facial swelling should improve day to day, but it will takes months, in my experience, before you will be able to see your final fat grafting result.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat grafting and rhinoplasty

+2

Facial swelling is very common after facial fat injections and after rhinoplasty. Be patient, first the swelling will subside, and second not all the fat will "take."

Too much fat grafted to my face?

+2

It is normal to have swelling in the face after rhinoplasty and fat grafting. I routinely transfer between 20 to 60 cc's of fat to the face depending on the patient. Usually 30 to 50 percent of the fat is reabsorbed. Swelling will be present for weeks and takes six months to disappear completely. You will have a good idea in regards to the results about 6 weeks after the procedure.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Swelling normal 3 days after fat grafting to face

+2

Not to worry there is normally quite of bit of swelling whenever there is fat grafting to the face.  The amount of swelling you have now is normal.  It will takes months for it to be all gone.  Be patient.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Pictures

+2

I am a little confused.  I am assuming that the third picture is pre-op?  If it is pre-op then I am not certain why you were having anything done at all.  I agree with the prvious MD in stating that swelling from  fat transfer can take months to resolve.  Your doctor also gets a bit caarried away with taping!  Interesting approach.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your concerns are not warrented

+1
You just had surgery and you have normal swelling. Just wait and it may take up to 3 months to see the results.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Early postoperative swelling after rhinoplasty and fat grafting

+1

I would not be too concerned three days after a rhinoplasty procedure. That alone can create tremendous amounts of facial swelling even without the fat grafting. It is unlikely you will notice the results of the fat grafting for at least several weeks after the swelling resolves. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face still has bandages after fat transfer and Rhinoplasty

+1

I think 3 days after a Rhinoplasty and fat transfer is way to soon for you to be asking for advice form other plastic and cosmetic surgeons...especially since you still have bandages on your face.  Please have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Swelling after Rhinoplasty and Fat Grafting

+1

3 days after rhinoplasty and fat grafting to the face, you should expect to be swollen.  So it is way to early to get worried about the swelling.  Without seeing you in person or knowing more details about your specific procedure it is impossible for us to give you specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD