Best Treatment for Dark Spots?

I'm 32 years old, and I have dark spots on my face. I have tried all kinds of products like fade creams, and even tried covering it up with make up. What is the best treatment for these spots?

Dark spots on the face

+1

First, have these spots evaluated by a dermatologist to make sure they are benign.  Sun spots, melasma, and other facial hyperpigmentation are often treated with a combination of sunscreen, prescription bleaching creams containing hydroquinone, non-hydroquinone containing creams, peels, retinoids, and laser treatments.  And it's always essential to protect your skin from the sun. 

Miami Beach Dermatologist

Best treatment for dark spots

+1

The dark spots need to be evaluated as to palpability and location. In other words brown spots on the legs may react differently than those on the face. Also, if the brown spot is elevated than that will require a different treatment than a flat lesion. If the lesion is discrete or a confluent patch also will tell the dermatologist how to approach these dark spots.

In general, creams wont work for elevated , palpable dark spots and may work for flat spots. Depending on the type of spot it is will let the dermatologist choose the best method of treatment , whether or not to use laser, creams, or cryosurgery, or a combination of the above.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.