Facial Changes in Bruxism?

I have been suffering from bruxism for several years, and I have noticed some changes to my face. However, I can't really pinpoint it out other than large masseters. So, aside from masseter hypertrophy, what other changes can occur to the face of people with bruxism?

Facial changes from bruxism

+1

Since bruxism is grinding the teeth, you do get masseter hypertrophy. Botox injections can help with this. There is no surgery that can be done to remove the chewing muscle. Changes that occur in bruxism include the grinding down of the patients own teeth and larger masseter muscles. This is more of a dental problem.

Bruxism and its cosmetic consequences

+1

Over the longterm, in addition to masseteric hypertrophy, untreated bruxism may eventually cause dental erosion and collapse of your maxillary and mandibular segments with loss of vertical height to the lower one third of the face. In other words, you may look like an elderly edentulous person with their dentures removed. To prevent this use of dental guards (bite blocks) will protect the teeth.