Face and Neck Liposuction?

About a month and half ago, I had face and neck liposuction. My face is still swollen, bigger than before, and in some areas I even feel like a small "ball" under the skin, and when I touch it, sometimes I feel a bit of pain. The swelling will disappear? How long will I wait? So far nothing has changed. My face will stay that way forever? Thanks

Face and Neck Liposuction?

+2

I do not perform face liposuction, but neck liposuction can result in swelling that persists for more than 6 weeks.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

"What wound did ever heal but by degrees?"

+2

"How poor are they that have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees? -William Shakespeare

I understand your frustration and impatience, Teekie, but, to be honest, 6 weeks is actually a rather short time in the overall course of postoperative recovery from liposuction. We routinely tell our patients that they will not have anything approaching a final result from their liposuction until at least six months after the procedure.

The residual swelling in your face that you see is often par for the course at your phase of recovery. The small "balls" that you feel beneath the skin may be some early scar tissue that is developing. This may be helped by massage treatments, lymphatic drainage, external ultrasound, and dilute steroid injections. But ultimately, there is no substitute for a tincture of time. 

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Face and Neck Liposuction?

+1

Thank you for your question. Swelling usually starts to reduce in 4-6 weeks. We have our patients wear compression garments, and this reduces swelling substantially. If you are not wearing a garment, this may explain your swelling. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon