Face Looking Old at Age 25 - Any Help?

I am a 25 year old female who has been going through a period of EXTREME stress which I think has aged me. I am wondering what I can do about the very fine lines that have appeared around my mouth. Also, am I too young for success with a laser tightening procedure like thermage?

Get your young face back

+3

Firstly, stop stressing over you face and try a few simple measures to get your young face back. Sometimes less is more. I would start a basic skin care program where you use a moidturizer with sunscreen every morning and use a retinoid  at bed time. If you can add a vitamin C that would be a bonus. Make sure to get enough sleep and drink enough water as these things might not change your skin in the long run but dehydration and exhaustion can certaunly show in your face. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Old at 25....

+2

Stress can really take its toll on our bodies, inside and out.  Step one...try to stop stressing.  Do something kind for yourself.  Start by throwing away your magnifying mirror if you have one.  (they seem to create more stress for patients than anything else)  You really are never too young to start thinking about skin care for treatment of problems and prevention of things to come.  Sunscreen is essential!  The damage the sun and environment does to our skin is amazing...wrinkles, brown spots, visible capillaries and blotches, sagging skin, decreasing collagen production, skin cancer and on and on.  Hydration with a good moisturizer (Skin Medica Dermal Repair) can make more improvement than you realize...if the skin is hydrated it looks less wrinkled.   (Also consider Skin Medica TNS Essential Serum and TNS Eye Repair) It's a good idea to get started seeing a medical aesthetician that works closely with a Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist that can advise you on a monthly (or even more frequent initially) micropeel or other chemical peel regimen.   (Vitalize or Rejuvenize)

Start there.

Dr. Grant Stevens              

Grant Stevens, MD

Facial Rejuvenation, best to start early

+2

Facial rejuvenation should start with a visit to a board-certified aesthetic dermatologist who should review a series of preventive skin care products. As early as in your 20's, one should consider topical antioxidants such as topical Vitamin C followed by SPF 30+ sunscreen in morning and prescription-strength topical retinoid at night. Frequent microdermabrasion or lunchtime chemical peels can be an effective maintenance routine. For a quicker gratification, one may consider TCA chemical peel or a light Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing. Filler injections can be helpful to start stimulating collagen along nasolabial folds. Botulinum toxin injection can be performed to start decondition muscles around the eyes and forehead to pre-empt premature dynamic wrinkles.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial rejuvenation in your 20s

+2

You are never too young to begin taking good care of your skin and to prevent damage.  It's also possible to reverse early damage, such as what you describe. 

It may be that a simple skin care regimen will do the trick for you, or that some peels will work well for you.  You'll need great sun protection to help prevent further damage and protect your investment.  Lasers may or may not be what you need right now, but your plastic surgeon should be able to guide you.

Please seek a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who offers a full range of procedures, from spa-like to surgical.  You want to be sure your surgeon has a "full toolbox".  There are plenty of medspas and non-plastic surgeons ("cosmetic surgeons") who only have a hammer in their toolbox, so that's what they offer everyone who walks in their door. 

Carmen Kavali, MD

Helping a "Old-Looking 25 Year Old Face" Should be Easy

+1

Hi,

There are many modes of treatment to revitalize your young, stressed face.  A photo or physical exam of your face is necessary to recommend treatments.  A very light laser treatment such as Fraxel repair Lite will help.  Light chemical peels such as SkinMedica's Vitalize peel, O2 Intraceuticals oxygen infusion facials, and the use of good skin care products such as SkinMedica's TNS Essential Serum are all helpful.  You must discuss all of these treatments with an experienced well trained physician.  Radioffrequency technologies such as Thermage, Pelleve`, and Accent XL can be helpful, we currently prefer Accent XL.  Choose your treating physican carefully.  Nothing can replace youth, so with a few minor treatments I am sure that you will achieve your facial cosmetic goals.  Good luck and be well. (See the below web reference for more on Fraxel repair Lite).

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD