What Can Be Done About the Asymmetry of my Eyes? (photo)

Im a male teenager and I began noticing how my eyes looked so asymmetrical compared to my friends' which were ALL near perfect & symmetrical in their photos. Im now at the point where I hate my one eye and NEED something done! I provided photos of a straight face and smiling. It is ONLY the eye on the LEFT (for me, its my right) that Im upset with (marked with an 'x' in the photos). Whatevers wrong with it, is especially noticeable when smiling. Id be open to any suggested surgery or procedure!

Focused on eyes

+1

JM, the photo's you have submitted show normal asymetrical differences that all humans have. The problem is that the asymetry is so slight, you will probably be disappointed by any plastic surgery.  In males who focus on such slight discrepancies, they can end up having multiple procedures and never be satisfied. 

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Eye asymmetry

+1

Yes, there is some  mild asymmetry  between your eyes.  I think you have received some excellent advice from excellent physicians.  I am writing to tell you that if you do persist and are able to find someone who is willing to try to address your problem with surgery, you need to truly understand the very real risks involved.  Despite the best of intentions, surgery carries a significant risk of making your asymmetry worse than it is now!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

How much time do you spend thinking about this issue.

+1

JM

Yes you do have a slight asymmetry.  However, does it rise to a level where you should "hate" it?  As a cosmetic surgery professional who focuses on periocular issues, I am advising you that it would not be normal to have such a strong reaction to this feature.  If you find yourself spending hours a day concerned about this or are avoiding social situations because you believe others are aware of it or make fun of you, then it is possible you have a thought pattern that is called body dysmorphic disorder by psychologists.  If this is the case, your brain is organized in a way that is a little different that others.  One of the established facts of this condition is that people with BDD think differently and often have a misunderstanding with their potential cosmetic surgeons.  This can cause the surgeon to operate in a way that does not address the actual concern.  If it sounds like you might have BDD, I recommend that you seek out a psychologist.  The goal of treatment is to help you understand how you see things.  Greater insight can help you avoid the feelings that everyone is concerned with something so subtle that only you are actually aware of it.

Eye asymmetry

+1

There is always some eye asymmetry as there is with any parts of the body that we have two of.  Based solely on the photos, it does not look like a significant asymmetry and I would leave it alone.

You do not surgery

+1
You have normal asymmetric eyes and youdo not need surgery. You look very normal. If you look at the pictures of celebrities and models you will notice asymmetry.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Answer

+1

Can you expand on what the exact problem is? It is difficult to tell from the photos. Looking at the photos there seems to be a small difference if any at all between the eyelids. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon