Can Someone Tell Me Why One of my Eyes Look Smaller in Pics? (photo)

Hi, maybe I'm just tired, but lately it seems like more and more when I take pics one of my eyes show up as one smaller than the other. I have to make sure I keep eyes wide or it seems worse. And then of course I have the wide eyed deer look sometimes instead.

Asymmetric Asian Lids

+2

Hello Techgirl2011,

The photo you have here is a little bleached out and your at an angle but I can see what you are seeing and we can work with this.  Here's what I see and what can be done:

1.  You right upper eyelid has a crease that is weak, higher than the left, and not as pronounced or deep as the left.  The tissue between this right upper lid crease and your eyelash line is giving a full look to the upper lid making your right eye seem smaller.  This is very common in my practice and can be dealt with easily with suture technique blepharoplasty, even on just one eye.  On the link below, photos 1,2, and 4 are examples of the same issue you have.

2.  I think i detect large contacts in your photo.  If this is the case I'll say that repeated pulling of one's upper eyelid can create uneven creases sometimes.

3.  Early intervention for this sort of issue is more easily done at a younger age.  As Asian women age the need to remove skin and to a somewhat larger surgery becomes more common.  This is occasionally the case in younger patients as well depending on the anatomy, skin quality, and amount of fat/upper lid fullness you have to deal with.

What are the anatomical reasons for this?

1.  It's all normal.   You may have noticed your crease change, appear, disappear, etc. starting in your teens or early 20's.

2.  It's due to a week connection between a muscle called the levator and the under surface of your skin.  Not a problem.  It's very common.  The suture recreates this connection.

It's not your imagination.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Answer

+2

The quality of the photograph is quite poor. I would recommend a photo where you are facing the camera and with better lighting. I agree with the other poster that your eyelid crease is more visible on the right than the left. Also you seem to have more prominence of your orbicularis muscle on your lower eyelid on the left than the right but again the photo is at an angle. It is difficult to give a fair assessment without more information and a better photo. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Really not such a great photo for this purpose.

+2

Looking just at this photograph, the most obvious issue is that you have a defined double fold on the left side but the double fold is not defined on the right side in this image.  A personal consultation would be very helpful to get to the bottom of the difference.

Uneven eyelid creases cause uneven eyes.

+1

My opinion is solely based on this picture and your comments. There is an obvious asymmetry of crease definition between both eyelids. This may occur naturally or after an Asian eyelid surgery. Your eyelid asymmetry should improve significantly by performing Asian eyelid surgery on your right side only. Pre-operative evaluation should include ptosis evaluation.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Asian eyes and one eye smaller than the other

+1

Based on the pictures it looks like the right eye has a less distinctive fold than the other. This will lead to more skin covering the right eye and making it smaller looking. An Asian double eyelid procedure / blepharoplasty could help you.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Eyelids

+1

Everyone has some degree of asymmetry in their faces.  There are a couple of issues contributing to this asymmetry you are noticing.  Foremost is the asymmetry in your underlying anatomy with the upper eyelid creases.  Additionally, you may have some degree of ptosis.  However, it is difficult to say without an in person evaluation.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Why Asian eyes look smaller in pictures - usually the flash

+1

Asian patients frequently have a degree of ptosis or decreased upper field vision. When a flash camera is used, there is a reflexive closure of the eyes. This causes the eyes to look smaller.

I find it always necessary to use a flash camera prior to asian eyelid surgery in order to capture any preexisiting ptosis which is not very apparent otherwise.

This is an excellent, advanced question.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS