Eyes Seem Pulled Farther Apart After Blepharoplasty? (photo)

I had an upper eyelid lift 5 days ago and my eyes seem to be farther apart with slight webbing at my inner eyes, making me look very slightly cross eyed. I know it's very early but it seems some things change for the better with more recovery time and some don't. Is this something that is likely to go away in a few weeks? Do you think I need to do scar massage after I get my stitches out? Thanks!

Post blepharoplasty 5 days, eyes seem pulled apart. Normal?

+1

Thank you for the photo.  It looks like your swelling is normal at this point in the post operative period.  This can give funny appearances. As the swelling subsides things should appear more normal.  Let your surgeon know your concerns.

Review before photos..

+1

Review your photos before surgery before you conclude that your eyes appear "slightly crossed". It's possible the reduction of the excess skin revealed more of your natural appearance. You should also have your after photo taken with you looking straight without looking at the camera if it's held close to your face. If you look at an object up close, your eyes will converge and appear to be "crossed".

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Be patient

+1

It is way to early after surgery for you to worry about your results. There is significant swelling in the first two weeks after surgery, and sometimes even longer than that. Furthermore, surgical scar will evolve and soften over a period of months. I would not consider revision surgery on anyone until the 3 month post operative visit, and sometimes even longer than that. Scars can mature for up to a year after surgery. Please be patient with your body and let it heal. Your surgeon will tell you if/when you would need scar massage.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyes further apart 5 days after upper lid blepharoplasty

+1

Your photo illustrates a fair amount of post operative swelling which gives the illusion of greater separation of eyes.  The swelling usually subsides over three to four weeks.  Your results to date look favorable.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Don't Worry About Your Eyes Looking Further Apart 5 Days After Blepharoplasty

+1

The good news is that essentially nothing is done during an upper blephroplasty that should cause you eyes to widen. Swelling in between your eyes (which you clearly have) aways occurs, and does make your eyes look further apart. As the swelling goes down (which it will) your eyes will start to look as close together as they did prior to your surgery. Realize that the eyelid skin is the thinnest in the body, so you will see swelling there until it has completely resolved. Be patient. Things will get better. Talk to your surgeon. He or she can help you through the process. Good Luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyes

+1

Your're only 5 days out you are very swollen still, In our practice we usually tell our patients that you need to give your self a few weeks for you to be able to see that the swelling is going away. Don't do anything without first talking to your PS. Everything will return to normal in time.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Swelling Can Make Your Eyes Look Farther Apart

+1

You are only 5 days after upper eyelid surgery.  At this time swelling in the area can make the distance between the eyes appear to increase.  I can assure you that the fundamental distance between you eyes would not change from the surgery.  I would keep your head elevated and let time take it course.   

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Increased eye distance after blepharoplasty.

+1

Hi Lisa,

It seems that the skin at the inner corners of your eyes is swollen and thus creates an illusion of distance widening between the eyes.  This swelling is not uncommon 5 days (or even later) after blepharoplasty and should resolve. Your intercanthal distance (a true distance between the inner corners of the eyes) shouldn't have changed with blepharoplasty.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Eyes Seem Pulled Farther Apart After Blepharoplasty?

+1

Great posted photo of the early swelling of surgery. It takes time to see the final result at least a month. Be patient!! Ask your chosen surgeon the post op care! 

Five Days

+1

Have you discussed your concerns with your surgeon?  After five days status-post surgery, can you really measure a relative difference of your preoperative interpupillary or intercanthal distance?

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon