Eyes Feel Scratched After Laser Lid Resurfacing

Hello, a week ago I had laser lower and upper eye lid resurfacing. The doctor used protective eye coverings. My skin is healing nicely, but my eyes feel very scratchy on the inside. Is it possible something got damaged during the procedure? Or is it more likely that I scratched the cornea in the process of cleaning out the eyes post surgery? Any ideas how to treat it? I'm having a hard time doing basic things like driving because of it. Thank you

Laser Blepharoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question.  There may be a bit of incomplete eye closure at this point in your recovery resulting in your sensation of a "scratchy" eye or your symptoms may be related to irritation by the corneal shield or your postoperative care ("cleaning out the eyes post surgery").  I would recommend you return to your surgeon for a full exam and assessment of your condition prior to initiating any treatment on your own.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
LeBeau Clinic

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dry eye

+1

It is possible that the surface of the cornea might have been irritated by the cornea shield. Its also possible, that your eyes aren't fully closing [especially at night]. This should improve with time, and use of lubricating eye drops/ointments.

You should discuss this with your surgeon, and also be seen by an Ophthalmologist to evaluate the cornea.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyes feeling scratchy after laser eyelid treatment

+1

This is the domain of an ophthalmologist.  You need to have an eye exam to assess the cornea and surrounding tissues.  They can likely recommend treatment to relieve your discomfort as you heal.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

A scratched cornea is so painful that you would have trouble keeping your eyes open.

+1

It is likely that you are experiencing dry eye related to eyelid swelling following the laser resurfacing procedure.  Have your doctors refer you to an ophthalmologist for an assessment.

+1

It's best that you call and ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did you Laser resurfacing this question so you can possibly be examined and evaluated for further treatment.