One of My Eyelids No Crease, Is there a Surgery to Fix This?

I was born without a crease in one eyelid. I had surgery as a child to shorten the muscle to raise the lid above the pupil. Still I have no crease and I am curious if there is a seugery to fix this. As fare as I know there isn't.

Eyelid crease formation

+2

The location and prominence of the upper eyelid crease has some relation to the strength of the levator muscle, which lifts up the eyelid, for which you already have had surgery.  It may be possible to surgical induce an eyelid crease.  A personal consultation is required to determine if you are a candidate.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is likely that this could be fixed with a good examination, careful planning and an appropriate surgical procedure.

+2

When doing eyelid surgery it is often necessary to make adjustments to compensate for asymmetrical anatomy on one eyelid vs. the other.  Make an appointment with a well respected cosmetic surgeon who has performed 1000's of cosmetic eyelid surgeries.  

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+2

To say anything definitively I would need to examine you. Having read your post it sounds to me that  you had functional surgery to improve the lid position. If the function is good I would declare victory and call it a day.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Creating an eyelid crease -- double eyelid operation

+2

From your description, it sounds as though you may have had surgery to repair a congenital ptosis (aka droopy eyelid). An absent crease is not uncommon. In fact, in Eastern Asia, many individuals are born without eyelid creases (the so-called double eyelid). Some are born with a crease on one side, and not the other.

In any case, creation of a crease is a matter of performing an operation commonly called a double-eyelid operation. This involves an incision in an area where you desire the crease. The crease height from the other side is chosen for symmetry. Then the skin of the upper eyelid is sutured to a muscle extension that opens your upper eyelid called the levator aponeurosis. In your case, you have had surgery in that area before, so you must choose a surgeon who is experienced in facial plastic surgery and specifically has expertise in lid surgery. Take care.

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Crease Surgery

+1

Shaila,

Without evaluating you in person it is difficult to comment on your individual situation.  However, there is a surgery that can be used to create an eyelid crease.  I recommend that you see a surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  You can find near you one on their website: asoprs.org.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon