Should I Have Eyelid Surgury Soon After Botox Which Caused an Eyelid to Droop?

I had botox injected about 10 days ago and now my left eyelid is drooping. I was planning to have upper eyelid surgury to remove some skin. Do I have to wait to have the surgury until the eyelid drooping from the botox corrects itself?

Botox

+1

I would consider waiting until the effect of your botox resolves.  The drooping of the eyelid is likely due to an effect on the eyelid muscle.  The botox was probably done for your brow muscles and since this relaxed the brow it can effect the judgement on how much skin to remove from the eyelid during a blepharoplasty.  When your muscles have returned to tone it may be a better time for your surgery allowing a better chance for a symmetrical result.  I hope this information is helpful.

Should I Have Eyelid Surgery Soon After Botox Which Caused an Eyelid to Droop?

+1

IMHO, yes you should hold off on having your upper eyelid surgery until the lower eyelid droop resolves.  One of the possible complications, following eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty) is dry eye.  This occurs from added exposure, of the eye, to the air as well as temporary disruption in the tearing mechanisms.  Having a droopy lower eyelid, IMO, places you at an increased risk of having dry after your upper eyelid surgery.  Most likely, you're looking at a 3 month delay.

Web reference: http://www.thepalmerdoceinstitute.com

Droopy Eyelid After Botox-How Long To Wait For Surgery

+1

Dear Terri,  While I am sure you are anxious to proceed with your eyelid surgery, I would advise you to wait until your droopy eyelid problems have resolved.  This may take anywhere from 2 months to 6 months depending how fast your Botox lasts.  If you have been using Botox before, you probably already have an idea of the average "lifespan" of the effects of your Botox treatments. It is important to wait until your eyelids have returned to their baseline appearance in order that your surgeon can as precisely as possible obtain the best symmetrical and cosmetic result.  While eye drops can help decrease the droopiness being cause by the Botox, they only work on one of the muscles being affected and therefore only will give a partial improvement and certainly not back to your normal baseline.  Think of it this way, you always want to go into any surgery in the best possible condition you can be.  Waiting a few extra months is worth it.  Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.stlcosmeticsurgery.com

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

You need to wait

+1

The best thing would be to wait. Botox will cuse some sagging and will effect the eyelid surgery. The best thing would be to wait 3 months before your surgery.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Delay upper eyelid surgery until Botox wears off

+1

The amount of skin removed during an upper eyelid procedure, as well as the treatment of the underlying muscle and fat, can be altered by the droopy eyelid you developed from Botox.  As surgeons we always say 'measure twice, cut once' and I believe you would be adding undue risk to your surgery by not waiting.

Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lid surgery and eyelid droop

+1

I had botox injected about 10 days ago and now my left eyelid is drooping. I was planning to have upper eyelid surgery to remove some skin. Do I have to wait to have the surgery until the eyelid drooping from the botox corrects itself

I would recommend to wait. The eye lid droop is most likely due to weakness of the forehead muscle (frontalis) and it will interfere with the amount of skin that needs to be removed. Of course, the brow can be positioned by by manually lifting it to estimate the amount of excess skin of the upper lid but why take a chance? The droop is temporary and it will get better in 3-4 months. If you actually have ptosis (lazy eye) due to botox weakening the levator, it may not matter much but your eyelid will still look funny.

Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely do not go forward with eyelid surgery until this BOTOX has worn off.

+1

My recommendation is to wait a full 6 months before considering eyelid surgery.  The reason for this is that your surgeon will judge your skin excision based on how much skin hangs into the eyelid space.  For this reason it is absolutely not advisable to have eyelid surgery until this treatment has completely worn off.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Waiting for eyelid surgery

+1

I think that since the degree of skin removal and fat removal are independent of the action f the levator muscle of the eyelid that was affected by the Botox, that you can likely go forward. I do not think the surgery will speed nor slow the resolution of the eyelid drooping, but some eye-drops can help in the meantime.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.