What is surgical procedure on eyelids for someone with thyroid disease?

Will the eyelid surgery for fixing eyelids that won't fully close take longer than other eyelid surgeries?

Blepharoplasty for patient with thyroid disease

+1
I am not certain whether you are inquiring about whether surgery can reduce the effect of Graves disease in terms of bulging eyes or whether you are questioning the healing process in patients on thyroid replacement treatment. If it is the latter, there should be no special concerns but you should speak with your endocrinologist on this issue. Medical clearance would be required for any patient who is on thyroid replacement medication.

Surgery for thyroid disease

+1

You have asked two questions that are usually not related.  The surgery for thyroid  disease (prominent eyes) is concerned in making the orbit of the skull larger in order to accommodate the increased volume of fat associated.  This is accomplished with taking out the floor of the orbit and its lateral walls thus allowing the orbital fat to move into the created spaces.  In my experience, it provides some improvement but not complete relief of the symptoms.  This procedure takes considerable time because the dissection involves many structures that determine the movement of the eye.

Second  part:  The treatment of upper eyelids that will not close is usually unrelated to thyroid and is the result of too much skin being taken out while performing a blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery).  I have not seen it with thyroid disease.  The treatment is to add skin to the affected eyelid.  If the condition is associated with thyroid disease then orbital decompression as discussed above is indicated.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)