Is It Possible to Have Revision Eyelid Surgery if too Much was Removed During First Surgery?

Can I have a second Bleph. even thought the first surgery the Doctor made a mistake by cutting too much from the right eye upper eyelid and leaving the left one normal.. So what can you do in situations like these?

Upper eyelid aging

+1

It is impossible to tell without a photo and difficult to say without a personal examination.  Blepharoplasty removes skin (and/or fat).  You may have droopy eyelids (ptosis) which is unrelated to the skin issue.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

If it's been a minmum of 3-4 months since your eyelid surgery, I suggest that you have several consultations with plastic and cosmetic surgeons for evaluation and recommendations.  Revision surgery, of any kind, requirtes careful analysis and planning, IMHO.

Eyelid surgery revision

+1

Really to answer this question, an exam or at least photos would be critical.  Over resection of one side is very difficult to fix.

Uneven eyelid surgery correction

+1

Absolutely, this can be corrected or improved.  Now, the questions are:

1.  Is it your eyelid crease or fold is uneven?

2.  Is the eyelid edge actually lower than the other?

In either case, you can have a second surgery.  I would wait about 9 to 12 months after the initial surgery to allow for the existing scar tissue to mature and make revision surgery more predictable.

If the fold or creases are uneven then it may simply be an issue of taking a bit more skin.  Not a bid deal, you should heal quickly.  About 7 days.

If the eyelid is actually drooping then you're looking at a ptosis repair through the same incision used for your cosmetic blepharoplasty.  Healing takes a bit longer.  About 7 to 10 days.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too much fat removed

+1

correcting the appearance of the lower lids after too much fat is removed can be difficult. Fillers can be used at the rim, but actually the area right below the lash line where the skin and muscle is so thin can be essentially impossible to correct.

Julio Garcia, MD

There are several excellent options.

+1
It is appropriate to heal from your initial surgery. If you have confidence in your surgeon, then it is appropriate to be patient and work with you surgeon. However, it sometimes happen that this result can shake your confidence in your surgeon. When this is the case a second opinion is reasonable. Regarding you situation your best options can only be determine by an actual personal consultation.

Revision upper eyelid surgery

+1

Post-operative eyelid asymmetry is always difficult for the patient. I would suggest waiting at least 6 months with massaging of the right upper lid to see how far it will improve before having a revision procedure to achieve better symmetry. If there was excessive removal of the upper lid skin, another Bleph would only help if there is a brow release or skin grafting to improve eye closure; howevere, majority of the immediate post-upper bleph lagopthalmos resolve spontaneously over several months. I suggest a detailed discussion with your surgeon as to what the plan is for the revision procedure and alternatives to surgery as well as obtaining a second opinion from another qualified surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon