Eyelid Surgery (Upper) at 28 - How Long Will Results Last?

I just turned 28 and have very droopy upper eyelids already. I'm wondering how long eyelid surgery will last? Basically, is it worth it to hold out a few years or should I just get it done now.

Blepharoplasty, Eyelid Surgery, Beverly Hills Blepharoplasty, Beverly Hills Brow Lift

+1

The question of when is always best answered by the individual patient as everyone's needs are different.  Once it's decided which is the proper course of action to treat the upper eyelid excess, more on that later, then you have to decide whether or not the expense and recovery time..whatever they are...is something you wish to allocate now to make your eyes more attractive.  If you have an Upper Blepharoplasty, the results typically last a lifetime however, if and when your eyebrows droop with age...upper eyelid fullness will once again appear.  This time, the proper solution would be a Brow Lift and not another Upper Blepharoplasty.

Now, here's how to determine which procedure is right to treat your upper eyelid fullness:

@font-face { font-family: "Courier New"; }@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }@font-face { font-family: "Wingdings"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }ol { margin-bottom: 0in; }ul { margin-bottom: 0in; }

Fullness of the upper eyelids come from two places. 

• One is the position of the eyebrows.  If the eyebrows are low, in position, this adds fullness to the upper eyelids. 
  • The other factor is true excess upper eyelid fat and skin which honestly, is a bit rare at 31 years old. Now here's why I believe you can't get your anser from these photods.

In women, the proper aesthetic shape of the eyebrows and eyes must be determined in person by the plastic and cosmetic surgeon in order to determine which of the abovementioned two factors is causing the upper eyelid fullness in your particular case.  I mention this in my new book on the aesthetics of beauty , "What's Your Number..the palmer code." the link to which is included at the bottom of this answer.

The surgeon must, IMO, place your eyebrows in the proper aesthetic position and then with you opening and closing your eyes, assess the amount of upper eyelid fullness remaining.  There are three possible outcomes all quite revealing:

• when the eyebrows are elevated to the proper position, all the upper eyelid fullness is gone.  This means the fullness is due to low eyebrows and the solution is a Brow Lift, not an upper Blepharoplasty which if performed, in this scenario, would actually cause your eyebrows to become lower after the procedure.  More on this later.
  • when the eyebrows are elevated, some of the upper eyelid fullness remains.  This indicates that a Browlift would remove some, but not all of the fullness, the remainer of which could be removed with an upper Blepharoplasty as a combined procedure.
  • the eyebrow is already in the proper position and all of the fullness remains, indicating that an upper Blepharoplasty alone would remove this excess.  This is the only scenario, of the three possible, where an upper Blepharoplasty alone is indicated.

Until this simple, but crucial maneuver is performed on you in person...I don't see how an accurate answer can be provided.  If an upper Blepharoplasty is done when the correct procedure should have been a Brow Lift, to raise the eyebrows, the Blepharoplasty can cause the position of the eyebrows to go even lower after the procedure.  Once this happens, the Brow Lift often can't be performed because there's simply not enough skin on the upper eyelid to allow the eyes to close properly after the eyebrows have been elevated.  This can result in corneal exposure and complications.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

Eyelid surgery at 28

+1

At 28 you are a bit young to have eyelid surgery.  That does not mean you are not a candidate for a procedure. 

Repairing droopy eyelids in your 20's

+1

Dear Nepal, the length of time that the eyelid surgery will last will depend on at least three factors:

1. The cause of the droopy eyelids:                                                                                                                                     If it is eyelid ptosis ( low hanging eyelids) then the result is often permanent, but if it is eyelid skin is hanging over your lashes, then the normal aging process may make the result "last "less time.
  2. The kind of surgery that is being performed:  blepharoplasty or eyelid ptosis repair, or both
  3. Your perception of how long it lasts:  Your surgeon will balance the amount of lifting that can be done while making sure your eyes stay healthy by being able to close easily and comfortably.  

Best Wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is most likely worth your while to move forward now.

+1

Nepal

If you were born with the droopy eyelid, it may be that your ptosis repair will not hold up.  This is because the muscle that lifts the lid can be abnormal in these situation.  If your upper eyelid is able to move more than about 10 mm when you press the eyebrow to the brow bone to fix the eyebrow in place, then it is likely that your ptosis surgery will provide you will long term success.  If the eyelid moves less than 8 mm when you are holding the eyebrow in place, then it is much less likely that your surgery will be successful.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com