Is Eyelid Surgery the Best Solution to my Puffy Eyelids? (photo)

I have consulted to an ophthalmologist who advise me to put an ice on my eyes but nothing has changed. I'm confused of what it is. I think it's my lacrimal gland that is protruding.When I touched my eyelid I can feel something in it. What steps should I make to resolve my problem? I'm already anxious.

Is Eyelid Surgery the Best Solution to my Puffy Eyelids?

+2

It is always hard to make the call based on a single, limited photo. However, you do appear to have full upper eyelids and there is the hint that your eyebrows have not drooped over time. Based on that limited information you are likely a good candidate for upper blepharoplasty or eyelid tuck. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looks like eyelid surgery is the best solution for your "puffy" lids.

+2

The photo submitted isn't great but it looks like the fullness of the upper lids is due to excess fat and skin.  An upper lid blepharoplasty is a good solution for this aesthetic problem.

Puffy eyelids

+1

Before embarking on any elective eyelid cosmetic surgery, it is important to rule out any medical conditions such as inflammation of the lacrimal gland, thyroid disease or ptosis. Once the medical conditions have been ruled out consideration for  upper and/or lower blepharoplasty can be entertained to remove some of the puffiness and excess skin on the upper lids or the lower lids.

Puffiness of Eyelids May be Medical or Surgical

+1

Thank you for your photo.  You definitely need an evaluation.  You may have significant orbital fat and lacrimal gland malposition but this could be a medical issue like thyroid disease (ex. low thyroid hormone levels).  This needs to be sorted out. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Fullness of Eyelid Maybe Related to Prolapsed Lacrimal Gland

+1
A complete ophthalmic exam by an Ocular Plastic surgeon is warranted. The picture that you provide shows fullness mostly on the lateral (outside) eyelid. Beneath this area resides the lacrimal gland and not fat. Removal of this gland will cause dry eyes. Before undergoing any surgery please have a consultation with an Ocular Plastic surgeon.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Puffy ey

+1

Most of the reason your eyes are puffy is the excess skin in the upper eyelids.  There may also be some excess fat that needs to be removed.  Removing the excess skin and fat will improve your eyes permanently.  There is a chance that you have prominent lacrimal glands but that can easily be discovered at the time of surgery and injury to the Lacrimal gland can be totally avoided.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon