I Have Hypothyroidism; is Eyelid Surgery Right For Me?

I am a 70 year old male with a right lazy eye. In doing research on the pros and cons, I came across an article where it shared that candidates may be excluded if they have any of the following listed conditions: one of the conditions is hypothyrodism, which I have. I take Levothyroxin 75mg daily. Why would this be an exclusion to having the surgery?

Not necessarily

+1

Patients with thyroid disease may or may not have associated Thyroid Eye Disease. If they do, then your disease process needs to be monitored prior to having surgery. If you are in the active phase of the disease, it is not prudent to have surgery since the eyelids and eye muscles may still be changing. You need to wait till the active phase of Thyroid Eye Disease fades into the "inactive phase"

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hypothyroidism and eyelid surgery

+1

If you are actively hypothyroid (your TSH is high of free T4 is low) you may have delayed healing or other problems.  If you are well managed on your thyroid replacement you aren't technically hypothyroid and this shouldn't be a problem. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon