Eyelid Surgery OK if Prone to Keloids?

I have the problem of congenital ptosis. My doctor has advised for a plastic surgery. I also have the problem of keloid. So i want to know whether keloid will form in my eye lids after surgery?

Facial keloids unusual

+2

While many people are genetically prone to keloid formation, there are certain anatomical areas that increase the risk. The midline of the chest (over the breastbone) and the point of the shoulder are notorious places for the development of keloids.

However, keloids are unusual on the face, perhaps because the composition of collagen in the skin is a bit different from elsewhere. We do occasionally see thickened scars behind the ears after facelifts, but the scars in front of the ears and the eyes will be fine. While I can't tell you there would be no risk of keloid formation around the eyes, I can say that I have never seen it in any of my patients, even those who have had thickened scars elsewhere.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and keloids

+1

ASfter 25 years in practice and thousands and thousands of these procedures, I have never seen keloids develop from eyelid surgery.  Set your mind at rest, the risk is minimal if at all.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Keloids are rare in the eyelid

+1

Keloids are rare in the eyelid. I often make a very minimal incision through the inside of the lower lid so the incision cannot be seen, is very small and doesn’t scar. Therefore it should not be a problem for those that are prone to keloids.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Keloids do not form on the eyelids

+1

A keloid is a histologically different form of tissue than a normal scar, growing beyond the boundaries of the original wound. Keloids form on the deltoid, sternum, and earlobe/auricle regions. Eyelid skin is the thinnest skin in the body and lends itself to excellent scarring in the vast majority of cases. Your chances of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery are greater than forming a keloid on your eyelid after ptosis surgery by a qualified surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid after eyelid surgery is very rare

+1

We have never seen a keloid on the eyelids and it would be extremely rare to develop a keloid on the eyelid. If there is only a ptosis repair that needs to be performed, this could be potentially performed from the inside of the upper eyelid.

Keloids very unlikely in eyelids

+1

As an oculoplastic surgeon, I have never seen a keloid scar in the eyelid. While this is certainly no guarantee, discuss this with your surgeon. The advantage of repairing the congenital ptosis outweighs any potential risk for scar formation in my book.

Scott M. Goldstein, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Keloids and eyelids surgery

+1

If this were an elective procedure for cosmetic reasons, you would probably be better off not tempting fate so to speak. Usually keloids do not form around the eye. However for ptosis, You may want to consider the chances and just be monitored very closely for keloid development.

Keloid after eyelid surgery

+1

The eyelid skin is the thinnest skin in the body and therefore much more resistance to keloid formation. I am not aware of actual keloid forming in this region after elective surgery. The chance is very rare.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Keloids and Upper Eyelids

+1

You're in luck. Keloids have a higher propensity in darker skinned individuals. The most common areas for keloids are the sternum or breastbone, shoulders and back. However, interestingly enough Keloid never appear on the upper or lower eyelids. For some reason the eyelids are spared this form of abnormal healing.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Scar or Keloid with Eyelid Surgery

+1

Any cosmetic surgery has the potential for scar. Keloid is a specific type of scar, which is more common in darker skinned individuals. True keloids are more common on the ear and characterized by growth beyond the initial incision. Keloid scar around the eyes or nose is very rare, as others have already mentioned. I have not seen or heard of true keloids in the central part of the face. Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a plastic surgeon can he/she help determine an appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon