Eyelid Surgery Healing

How long does healing after blepharoplasty usually take? Is there anything I can do before (or after) to speed up eyelid surgery recovery?

Blepharoplasty healing

+2

The bruising and swelling will last upwards of two weeks after blepharoplasty. Most patients are able to return to work, school, and social activities at this time. Incisions on the upper lid will remain red and lumpy/bumpy for six weeks, after which it becomes a fine little white line. The entire process takes approximately three months; during this time eye makeup can be used to conceal the redness. There are no over-the-counter products that will speed up the process.

Blepharoplasty recovery

+2

Upper blepharoplasty tends to recover more quickly--patients are back in public after 1 week or so. Lower blepharoplasty takes a little longer, perhaps 10 days. There are always some outliers, however, who heal more quickly or take longer. This will depend on a host of factors, including your medical history and genetics.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing from blepharoplasty

+2

Generally patients after a straightforward blepharoplasty are in public by a week or less, and quite comfortable with their appearance by two weeks.

We allow patients to begin very light exercise at two weeks and heavy exercise usually by 6 weeks.

If more complex surgeries are performed, such as revisional lower eyelid surgery, this time can be extended depending on your healing and the complexity of the surgery.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Healing After Eyelid Surgery

+1

I have a substantial experience performing cosmetic surgery of the upper and lower eyelids. In my experience, there is no magic! With good surgical technique and meticulous attention to hemostasis (cauterizing all the little vessels to reduce bruising), bruising and swelling may tend to be reduced.

In addition, I recommend remaining in a upright position at night (as well as during the day) for several days. I do not feel that homeopathic so-called anti-bruising medications are effective. In most cases, the bruising is substantially reduced or gone in a week or so.

Also, most of the swelling is down in this period of time. Mild swelling and residual prominence of the suture lines are gradually reduced over the next several weeks and months. I usually allow women to put make-up directly on their eyelids at approximately 8 to 10 days post-op. Your eyelids looking good should not take very long. Most important are your ultimate long-term results.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty recovery

+1

Recovering from eye lid surgery usually takes about 1 -2 weeks. The sutures come out in the first week but there may be residual bruising for 2 weeks.

You should look good after one to two weeks after eyelid surgery

+1

Most patients look good one week after upper eyelid surgery. If you also have lower eyelid surgery (and depending on the type of the lower eyelid procedure) your recovery may take up to two weeks. To speed your recovery, follow your doctor's instructions such as use of ice packs, resting with your head elevated, wound care, eyelid massage, use of meds such as arnica montana, and bromelain, etc. Many plastic surgeons offer special make-up to help cover any persistent bruising to help you feel more comfortable with your appearance sooner.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery takes 1 to 2 weeks to recover from

+1

After eyelid lift surgery it usually will take about 1 week for bruising and swelling to resolve. At that point make-up can be used for camouflage and wearing a pair of eye glasses can hide any residual black and blues. TO help expedite I usually have patients use arnica montana and bromelaine homeopathic regimens.

Andrew Jacono, MD

Eyelid Healing

+1

Healing will proceed well as long as you are healthy and have good nutrition. Things you can do before the surgery is to stay away from anything that can thin the blood like aspirin or ibuprofen. After the surgery you will want to keep you head elevated and ice the eyes for the first 48 hours. Rest your eyes and dont watch TV or read for the first week.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Eyelid Surgery Heals in 1-2 weeks

+1

You can expedite the healing by healthy living, exercise, nutrition, arnica, bromelain and avoiding anything that increases the bruising such as aspirin, motrin, fish oil ,vit E etc.

After the surgery, start icing the eyes immediately for the first 2 days.

In one week the stitches will be out and you should be able to use some make up and go to work.

Physical recovery is 1 2 3

In 1 week you can walk a lot for exercise

In 2 weeks you can run for exercise

In 3 weeks you can lift weights for exercise.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Many Different Factors Affect Eyelid Surgery Blepharoplasty Healing Time

+1

Healing from eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty is very much individual. Your genetics, current medications, smoking and drinking history all influence the way you heal. It also is dependent upon the procedure that was performed.

For the past 15 years I have been performing eyelid surgery exclusively with the CO2 ( carbon dioxide) laser. I utilize both the Coherent and Mixto lasers. I have found that in my hands my patients usually have minimal swelling and black and blueness compared to the use of a scalpel blade. this is because the laser seals the blood vessels as it helps to remove the excess tissue. The majority of swelling is gone within one week or less.

Anecdotally, my patients who use Arnica or eat fresh pineapple after surgery heal even faster. Good Luck.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon