Eyelid Surgery for Ptosis, Unhappy with Results, Are these the Final Results? (photo)

I had ptosis surgery on my left upper eyelid 10 days ago. I have two concerns. I am having double-vision and blurriness in the eye. This does not seem to have improved over the past week. When I use both eyes, I see normal. With the left, I see double (ghost images). Is this going to be permanent? What causes this? I am not happy with results of the surgery. I dont see improvement, and possibly it looks worse now. Can any doctors please comment based on the pictures attached.

Allow time for swelling to diminish

+2

This is way too early to worry about results. It takes weeks for swelling to diminish.

The monocular diplopia [double vision with one eye] is usually due to some form of refractive aberration, probably corneal dryness after surgery, which is not unusual. I would start using some artificial tears and follow up with your surgeon.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ten days postoperative ptosis surgery is to soon to tell final results!

+1
It is to early in the postoperative phase at ten days to determine your final result. As the swelling dissipates over the next few weeks to months you will be able to further evaluate your result. As far as the vision changes these may be due to dryness and you should be using moisturizing drops four to five times a day and a moisturizing ointment when at rest. I would make an appointment with your surgeon and discuss your concerns both cosmetic and functional and hopefully he/she can put your mind at ease. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Vision and Swelling problems after ptosis surgery

+1

It is way to early to tell the final position of the eyelid after ptosis surgery.  It can take months for all the swelling to subside and I rarely reassess for revision ptosis before 3 months.  The vision changes are likely secondary to dryness of the conductive.  Please state with artificial tears during the day and lacrilube at night and call your surgeon.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after ptosis repair

+1

Thank you for the photos. It appears you have some swelling after your ptosis repair. That is very normal after the tiny veins in the area of the levator are cauterized. 10 days is very early to be concerned.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

You still look swollen here.

+1

TIme often helps the swelling which helps the position of the eyelid.

I recommend that you return and see your surgeon to let them evaluate what is going on with your vision.