When Will I Know if Eyelid Surgery Results Are Final?

I am 5 weeks post op on eyelid surgery (top and bottom). I am not symmetrical yet. Does this mean I will not be symmetrical or is it too eary to tell.

Asymmetry after Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery

+2

5 weeks is still very early. As long as the eyes are comfortable, give it some time. The entire process can take 6-12 months. Athough not necessarily your case, asymmetry is sometimes, in part, due to the brain  "adjusting" to new 'tone."  For example, if an upper eyelid is significantly droopy before surgery,  the brow sometimes rises, to compensate...i.e., subconsciously and to clear the peripheral vision. This compensatory response still sometimes exists after surgery to elevate the eyelid and makes thing look asymmetric. Fortunately, this usually goes away with time.

Irvine Oculoplastic Surgeon

Postoperative changes taking place

+1

Five weeks may be premature to determine symmetry of your eyelids. There are still postoperative changes taking place. In some cases, it may take several months to adequately assess the ultimate symmetry and appearance of the eyelids following blepharoplasty. In addition, there are other factors that may contribute to eye asymmetry, most notably the brow position. In your picture, your right eyebrow appears to be lower than the left eyebrow: This brow asymmetry was most likely present preoperatively. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 months after eyelid surgery to see the final result

+1

Normally I tell patients for eyelid surgery that it can take up to 3 months to see the final result. It might be even longer if the patient has thyroid disease or has had previous surgeries or procedures, such as fillers. For these patients it might take up to 6 months. But, for most patients, I tell them not to worry about symmetry for 3 months and then a touch up can be done.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetry evident after Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery

+1

Unless you are one of a select few people, your eyes were probably asymmetric before your operation. If you look carefully at your picture, you'll see that your left eye (in the picture) is more prominent / bulging than your right as are your brows. I suspect things may loosen a bit from this point on but you are more or less looking at an early version of the final product.